on 17 May 2007
i owned an old copy of this itle picked up at a boot sale, when i saw this advertised on amazon i could not wait to receive my copy, it fulfilled all my expectations. for any crucivebalist this is the holy grail, come on araucaria, paul, et al we can solve even the most difficult now. my only wish is that we could have an e-book please!!
We are now on our 2nd copy of Anne Bradford's 'Crossword Solver's Dictionary' the 2005 edition, which has has so much use in the past 6 years that it is in a sorry condition indeed, being entirely held together by a combination of elephant tape, sellotape,and super-glue, but have to reluctantly concede that its decline is terminal, and as we are are both avid crossword fans (yes retired you will have guessed correctly)we cannot conceive being without our 'Bradford's'. As soon as this review is finished an order will be placed with Amazon for the latest edition.

Being not the 'brightest' crossword 'Johnnies' on the block we need back-up and having tried other 'crossword aid' books and electronic gadgets, we always revert back to Braford's which accompany's us wherever we roam 'crossword solving' internally or externally which is a bit of a bugger when it is left outdoors overnight in the rain - no wonder it's condition has deteriorated.

As far as we are concerned Bradford's is the solver of choice and for all but the most avid of General Knowledge puzzlers, arguably the only one that is needed.
on 5 November 2001
This book is every crossword addict's dream. No mere list of synonyms, the words in this book have been culled from actual crosswords from almost a lifetime's study of these puzzles. Anyone using this book will soon come to appreciate how it has been put together. Whether it's a foreign word, archaic term or simply a word with a recognised association with the words in the clue, you will find this book indispensable in solving crosswords quickly and with ease.
on 25 December 2009
Couldn't imagine doing Crosswords without this book somewhere to hand !! Fantastic and the new layout is GREAT. Buy it if you are a Crossword fanatic like me !!
on 27 September 2009
The dictionary was purchased for my 89yrs young friend who has bad eyesight, she thought it was good for her as she is a crossword fiend. It is a good size, printed well and good for crossworders. I hope this makes sense and is helpful.
on 2 August 2001
This is an excellent book for the use for crosswaord solving. This will be the third that we have bought, the other two have just fallen apart due to the amount of use they have had.
on 17 June 2010
On the whole very good but it has a lot missing, i.e.naming countries and their capitals (capitals are shown but not to which country they relate) various anniversaries, authors, playwrights etc. various gods and religions, Greek and Roman alphabets and numbers also not shown. Personally although this book is helpful I do not find it anywhere as good as the 30 year old Crossword solver I disposed of thinking this would give as much if not more information.
44 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2001
Of all the crossword aids available, Anne Bradford's comes out top because it has been edited by a true crossword enthusiast. It contains those obscure words that are so hard to find and makes solving a far easier task.
VINE VOICEon 31 January 2010
Although by no means a crossword soling fanatic I do enjoy spending time at the weekend with the papers and testing myself with a selection of cryptic and general knowledge crosswords. Initially I was sceptical about needing the Bradford`s book because I had always relied on a normal dictionary, encyclopedia and a thesaurus. Since reciving the book however I have found myself turning to it in preference to the other reference works.
The crossword solver is both comprehensive and user-friendly. Anne Bradford has a lifetime`s experience of solving crosswords and it shows in the utility of the book she has compiled.
Perhaps I should also admit to simply perusing the book without any crossword in front of me. Sometimes I`ve opened the book at random and run my eye down an entry. (The one for musical entries produced some wonderful new words).
I keep this book close to hand aabout the house and find it invaluable. I can recommend this book without hesitation.
on 23 October 2003
Bradfords is my Bible, and I seem to tear apart every edition that comes out. It's an absolute godsend for helping me with the really difficult general knowledge clues. My only qualification is that the pages become loose very easily, so I have to resort to sellotape. A stronger binding on the spine would be appreciated!!!