Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(2 star). See all 208 reviews
on 22 September 2007
I have enjoyed reading Tolkein for many years but this book was a disappointment to me. The story is interesting and well enough written but I have read it all before in other of his books. It seemed to bring little if anything new to the table.

If you are an old Tolkien fan don't bother - you have read this before.

If you a new to his stories read the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Unfinished Tales or the Silmarillion.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2013
Before starting to read the Hobbit, I read Tolkien's biography - poorly translated in Icelandic I'm sad to say - but the story of his life was interesting. Tolkien uses to many words and The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy get by because of the stories. Then I began reading The Silmarillion and I surrendered - the same thing happened with The Children of Húrin. The saga's in these books are not interesting enough.
on 23 January 2014
Given two stars as a review not for the quality of the content, but as my book came with random chapters printed upside down so that you would have to skip ahead forty pages and turn the book upside down and read back towards the front. Very annoying and you look a bit like a weirdo.
on 20 August 2007
I am a big fun of Tolkiens work. I own almost every book he wrote. But I came to distrust his son's publications. I can understand the need to make money through his fathers name but comes close to deceit that he is trying to sell an old story as new or even as a more detailed version of the already published.
If you are an owner of Silmalirium or Unfinished Tales stay away from these book unless you are a collector of every edition with Tolkiens name on it.
If you are not an owner of the previous books try one of them more stories including this one with almost no direness.(I am sure if you check line by line you will find some changes but the story is the same).
on 4 July 2010
To quote the first paragraph.

'Hador Goldenhead was a lord of the Edin and well-beloved by the Eldar. He dwelt while his days lasted under the lordship of Fingolfin, who gave him wide lands in the region of Hithlum which was called Dor-Lomin. His daughter Gloredhel wedded Haldir son of Halmir, lord of the Men of Brethil; and at the same his son Galdor the Tall wedded Hareth, the daughter of Halmir.'

And so on and so on and what a chore it was to get past even the first chapter.

'The sword Anglachel was forged anew for him by the cunning smiths of Nargothrond. Then Turin himself became known in Nargothrond as Mormegil, The Black Sword, but he named the sword Gurthang.

What? What? It's nonsensical word after nonsensical word, it doesn't stop. I like Tolkien, i wouldn't say love but I'm fan enough to want to read this book and i just couldn't. It's awful.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2007
I like Tolkien but I was not sure whether to get this book because the reviews for it have been very mixed. In the end amazons price was so cheap that I decided to risk it. As you may know a lot of the material here has been published before but JRR's son Christopher has pieced it together and turned it into a proper novel. The trouble is that the story is just not very interesting and it is very morbid and morose. It is difficult to remember who is who with so many difficult names and a t times it reads a bit like the bible, e.g. one character begat another character who begat another character and so on for pages at a time. I had to force myself to keep reading it and i started skim reading towards the end because I wanted to get it over with. If you are a Tolkien fan I would suggest you reread LOTR and forget about this or at least wait for the paperback because even at this price it just is not worth it.
on 13 June 2007
After being very excited about this novel due to its author or rather J.R.R.Tolkien, not his son! I was so disappointed. The only saving grace of this awful book is the pictures and artistry by Alan Lee.

The book which I was hoping to be an epic fell at the first hurdle. The story is of the "Children of Hurin" so why in middle earth do they only feature together for approximately 10% of the book. The intro was awful, I don't think I have ever read such a longwinded and more confusing book in my life. Don't get me wrong the family tree and heritage is important within Lord of the Rings, Hobbit etc etc, but I have to say that putting the character list and hidden family tree at the end of the book was a huge mistake!!! Why wouldn't you help the reader by having it as a preface to the book rather than an appendix???

As for the plot and characterisation, it was lacking. I felt less enthusiasm for Turin than any hero I have ever imagined. He was corrupt and flawed however that was part of his character and ensuing doom. The story itself never reached a cresendo in my opinion. The slaying of the dragon was so boring and uneventful that it was scary that it formed the basis of the book. Unlike the other swashbuckling and dangerous quests and stories within Tolkien's other novels this story didn't even feature any real combat with evil.

Admittedly the story of Nienor was remotely worthy and interesting however, I felt so dismissive of Turin and his worthiness as the heir of such an important lineage that the book took a nose dive as soon as he took control.

Overall a real mess and a disappointment for Tolkien and his namesake. The book was lengthy and didn't hold my attention bar the simple love tangle between the brother and sister and their unfortunate demise.

I wouldn't advise this novel to anyone who loved Tolkien's other works as there appears to have been a very good reason why he didn't publish it.

However praise for Alan Lee, he was the only reason I continued to read on and the book evidently needed extra help via the images.
on 14 May 2008
This story was so miserable and grim - an unending tale of stupid act after stupid act as our hero/heroine stumble from one disaster to another. Endless mind numbing genealogies, - sigh. A real depressive story and I don't think christopher lee's narration helped either - it wasnt quite right - too - leaden I think. Yes I did wade through all 8 cds and I would not recommend it.