Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Learn more Fitbit

on 30 March 2009
I love this book. I love its format, the gorgeous pictures, the friendly text. And the recipes, god do I love the recipes. Simple, easy-to-prepare, and ultimately satisfying without an oddball ingredient in the bunch. This is one of the volumes I turn to time and again when I want to cook, I need to cook, but don't really feel like it and I want someone else to tell me what to do. Full of flavor and interesting and never disappointing, this is a family-friendly book with recipes that should please even the pickiest of eaters.
on 4 January 2007
I received Favourite Food at Home and also Food for Friends as a Christmas present - and they are both brilliant; I look foward to cooking many things from both of them over the coming months.

The home-made Tomato Ketchup really is quite delicious, as is the Summer Fruits jam. I've also made the Onion (Marmalade in one book and Jam in the other) which was nice, but it's got another week to mature before I really give it a good taste.

The Summer Fruit parcels are truly devine.

Both books are really well and truly worth buying.
on 4 February 2009
As a very keen cook and a Bed and Breakfast owner who has to do many dining parties this book has been fantastic, I use it for all sorts of recipes from the lemond curd to the pork sausages my kids cant get enough of, it is well written and comes over to the reader of the love Rachel Allen has for her food, I have since bought another three of her books all of which are firm favourites and I gave this book out to a couple of friends at Christmas, love it !!!!!!!!
on 21 May 2007
I bought `Rachel's Favourite Food at Home' after it was recommended to me by a friend, and I have really enjoyed cooking from it since. It is perfect for a busy working parent (like me), as the recipes are quick to prepare, healthy and use ingredients that are easy to get.

The themed chapters are really helpful. I particularly loved the `Big Celebrations' chapter and made the Lamb Tagine for a Sunday lunch - went down very well. Have also made the Baked Meringue with Peaches from the Dining Alfresco chapter. Was so simple and the kids really liked it.

I've thoroughly enjoyed making all the recipes I tried from this book. I wholeheartedly recommend it!
on 17 February 2008
I love this book - I've cooked so many recipes from it and they all turn out great. I love Rachel's approach - there's too many tv chefs who use tv to show off their restaurant food, yet fewer and fewer people cook at home. This book is full of easy, great food you can cook at home for everyday meals. If you are having friends round, try the lamb tagine recipe - it's to die for!
on 21 November 2010
I have only tried a few of the recipes because I only recently purchased the book.
What I love is that it is simple and straightforward and the recipes work! You don't have to have hundreds of ingredients like some other cook books either.

A perfect family cook book and I shall enjoy cooking my way through the rest of the book.

I have recommended it to friends already. Happy cooking!
on 17 November 2006
...from Rachel Allen.

'In this cookbook to accompany her latest TV series, Rachel Allen once again offers the delicious, inspiring and easy-to-follow recipes for which she has become famous. Rachel's Favourite Food at Home draws on international influences, classic regional fare and good old family favourites to provide creative options for every occasion, whether you're planning a simple family meal, hosting a festive dinner for the entire clan, squeezing in a sneaky, romantic meal for two, heading out for a glorious picnic, chilling out on the sofa with your favourite comfort food, or just spending time baking muffins with the kids.

224 pages, split over main chapters:

7. Home Cinema
8. Big Celebrations
9. Edible Gifts
10. Just Like Mum Used to Make

sandwiched between an introduction, a section entitled 'Useful Extras', 10 pages of 'staples' or 'accompaniments' recipes, e.g. stock, roux, mayonnaise, rice and pastry, completed with a concise index.

Each chapter opens with family photographs and some text, e.g.:

~ Easy Family Food

'I love family meals since this is when everyone gets to sit together and talk about what went on during the day. This type of food should be easy to prepare and quick to rustle up, or else made in advance earlier in the day. This is simple food that the whole family will enjoy and the recipes can be easily amended to suit everyone's taste.'

Each recipe is well laid out with a title, how many servings plus guidance on whether a starter, main, vegetarian etc, short heading, clear list/s of ingredients and method.

Most, but not all the recipes, include a full colour photograph - sometimes of a 'stage of the recipe', or an 'on-location' shot, rather than of the completed item, which may prove negative to some, especially those of us who like to see what we are aiming for on the plate.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2007
I received this book as a gift and it really is lovely. It's a beautiful book full of tempting pics and stunning photography. All the recipes I have followed so far have been a great success, particuarly some of her cakes and puddings.

Also, the section near the back which is full of basics is really useful - things like mayonnaise and pesto taste so much nicer when home-made and it can be hard to find decent, easy recipes for them. Until now!

I also love watching Rachel Allen on tv - she has a way of talking about food that makes you really hungry and the book does just the same. I can't wait for her next book to come out!
on 30 May 2009
I can live without photos of every single finished dish in a book, if the recipes grab me enough I can imagine what they're going to look like. I was just disapointed with this book, it doesn't seem to have any passion about it, it's just 'there'. I have the superb 'Bake' and bought this as I thought that the recipes inside would be of the same quality. Sadly they aren't, and I doubt there's anything in the book that I will actually try.
on 6 November 2008
This book is great. I now own 4 of Rachel's cookbooks and all of them haven't disappointed me. The recipes are simple to follow and the end results are excellent. I've a shelf full of cookbooks that I've only used once for twice for the odd recipe but Rachels books are so good I keep them permanently on the breakfast bar. Highly recommended.