Customer reviews

The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 2013
My dad really likes Nigel Slater, particularly because of the shows he did re making a meal out of various random ingredients (a situation my dad often finds himself in!). Therefore, this made for a perfect gift. Not only do the recipes look delicious, the book looks amazing too! It's very impressive when you first open it. I would recommend this product.
on 4 October 2013
The recipes are fine and easy to follow, unlike the index in the back of the book. Why not alphabetical. The bletchley code breakers would have had problems working this one out. Consequently has remained on the shelf. No good for quick references as by the time you have worked out where the food is in the book, you have lost your appetite.
on 29 October 2013
This book would benefit greatly from a more easy to use index, as this seems to have no logic to it. if you are looking for a recipe using a particular ingredient you have to read through the whole thing.
It would benefit from a bit more thought in the next edition.
Apart from the above complaint it is an excellent publication.
on 7 March 2013
ThIs book gives what Nigel Slater is and does.

It is not just about providing recipes but provides inspiration and ideas to help produce something great from little and encourages thinking outside the box and experimentation.

A great buy in a nice sturdy hard backed book that should survive the kitchen over time.
on 1 January 2013
Thoroughly enjoyable in so much I enjoy his writing style and content, even if I cannot say the same for his TV programmes where I feel he is somewhat patronising to us lesser mortals. In the book however, his belief that he is the only person on the planet that can throw things together is lost... thankfully. He shares his love of food and good produce with crisp writing beautifully bound in a high quality publication.
on 27 February 2013
This book is intrigueing. It really makes one realise how one may change and twist a known classic into an original outstanding dish. The ideas are creative and yet so simple. Fewer illustrations than may be expected to my eye but yes I can see the focus on the recipies rather and it is a gold mine. Well done Mr Slater Well done
on 20 February 2013
This book arrived on time and made the perfect present for my mum, who is a food fanatic! This book is particularly great because it is different to other recipe books - this is the style of a home cook writing about food, rather than just commenting on recipes. A real winner and thoroughly recommended to all lovers of food/cooking!
on 7 January 2013
This is unlike all the other cookery books I have. It's a year-long diary with great recipes thrown in. Its focus on seasonality really attracted me to it and I am really enjoying Nigel Slater's relaxed approach to cooking. I have read a lot of negative comments about the photography but thought the images were absolutely fine.
on 18 December 2012
Ive made his delicious butternut squash soup and I'll definitely be doing that again. So quick and easy and gorgeous. I'm making a batch of lemon curd as we speak and there's lots im going to try. I've recorded his tv programmes too, I find him easy to follow and I'm extra jealous of his kitchen. I can highly recommend this book.
on 15 October 2013
I bought two copies of this book and gave one to a friend for her birthday. We both agree that it is not only a super recipe book but a good read too! Written in diary form, it is very interesting, can be picked up and read, whilst having a cup of coffee and I have tried several of the recipes, which were very successful.