How We Met
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2014
How we met
by Katy Regan

The author describes this as a book about friendship. It is also about loss, grief, parenthood, love and growing up.
A group of friends, who met at university, come to terms with the loss of one of their number, each dealing with guilt feelings and secrets in their own way as they try to honour the memory of their friend and adjust their relationships in her absence. The desire to hold on to a time of youth and fun, with everything to look forward to, permeates the story and Olivia's death has become the catalyst for change in the eyes of her friends.
There is quite a high degree of insight and the relationships, conflicts, disappointments and changes are handled with a lot of empathy and some wit and charm.
I would recommend it as a holiday read or for readers looking for something that is not too heavy.
on 3 March 2013
I've been a fan of Katy Regan's for quite some time now and her latest book is another fine example of her ability to get you hooked right from the first page. It's another easy read, one you can easily get through in just a couple of sittings. It will have you laughing out loud despite the rather morbid context of the book.

I've read Katy's other books but I think this one really shows her true abilities as a writer. She's moved on from the traditional Romantic Comedy and has shown hidden depths in "How We Met." The plot is intriguing and tackles a more sinister topic, the death of a friend, and the impact it has on the circle of friends left behind.

We can surely all relate to the characters - Mia, a single Mum struggling to come to terms with motherhood and the death of her friend; Fraser the boyfriend, who struggles to keep it together and turns to women and booze to get him through. The rock solid couple who aren't quite so together after all, and Anna, who seems to have turned to the spiritual world to get her through the grief.

Don't let the subject matter of a death put you off - You'll be pleasantly surprised by the humour in this novel as the group try to complete Liv's dying wish list - A list of "Must Do's" before you turn 30.

I'd recommend this book to anyone in their late 20's or early 30's as then you'll totally get this book and its characters. A perfect holiday read or one to chuckle to yourself on the tube or train to work.

Loved it! Hope the next book is coming soon.
One person found this helpful
on 4 January 2013
This story of five young friends coping with the accidental death of a close member of their group is incredibly touching as well as genuinely funny. Katy Regan's prose is warm, her dialogue authentic and witty and she builds the tapestry of her characters' interwoven lives with a wry and light touch. At points very moving, for the most part this book had me giggling at the antics of the diverse group of characters - who all rang very true - what group of friends doesn't have its Norm and Melody couple, seemingly meant to be since forever, or its Anna - slightly out there and always with a tale to tell. Their story had me hooked and it was a struggle to put How We Met down, so keen was I to uncover each unfolding secret.

This is Katy Regan's best book yet and a great buy for anyone who loves fast paced, intelligently written fiction, with a big heart.
on 7 March 2013
I was a fan of Katy Regan's first two books because of her witty and warm style and the fact that her novels are always effortless page turners that go a bit deeper than a lot of so-called chick-lit. So when I bought How We Met to entertain me on a train journey to London, I knew I would be in safe hands.
I loved the theme of friendship and the exploration of the fact that at some point our carefree student lives have to evolve and change as life starts throwing grown-up problems at us, and with that the easy friendships that seemed so effortless in the good old days inevitably change too - and not always for the better.
Despite the fact that the book revolves around the death of one of a group of friends and contains some sad poignant moments, it's ultimately an entertaining, uplifting read, with Regan's down-to-earth sense of humour always shining through.
Highly recommended - I was disappointed when I had to get off the train!
on 2 August 2014
I loved it!
An interesting book with characters who came alive off the page
and who you cared about.
I had at first thought it may be a sad kind of story, but although
elements of it were, it was actually a really fab read!
Thank you Katy Regan...can't wait to read your latest one!!
on 11 June 2013
I have loved all of Katy Regan's books but this one I am particularly fond of. The characters are real and easy to care for. I, in particular, like how much of London there is in her works. I enjoy all the various details; the millionare shortbread at the British Library, a drizzly Leeds backdrop on an awkward night out, the way Regan writes dialogue. The book is so rich with detail and depth but never takes itself too seriously. It's a perfect summer read though I wacked this on my kindle to help with a daily commute - it's one of those books that's very easy to dip in and out of but you relish getting back to it.
on 4 December 2017
At first i thought it was a bit depressing but then it started to make laugh. You really get invested in the characters lives. Enjoyable read!
on 18 February 2013
I've been a fan of Katy Regan since I read her column in Marie Claire. I've read all her books to date and I have to say How we Met is the best yet. The characters are well developed, completely believable and easy to relate to. I wonder if any of Katy's friends saw themselves in any of them! The plot rolls along at a very balanced pace and there was no guessing what was going to come next. I so wanted Mia and Fraser to end up together and wasn't disappointed. It's a great read. Buy it!
2 people found this helpful
on 6 January 2013
Brilliant book about a group of friends who tragically lose one of their gang. Katy has the knack of getting the characters under your skin so you can't wait to see what happens to them next. Really funny (laugh out loud on a train) observations of the various situations the remaining friends get themselves into and very poignant scenes that made me cry. Keep writing your clever and funny books Katy - you're on a roll!!!
One person found this helpful