Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

2,498
Wolf Hall
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 March 2014
Absolutely wonderfully written look at the Tudor Court - not ,as usual, from the royal perspective, but from that of secretary Thomas Cromwell. Cromwell is a mysterious character, rising as he did from the son of a blacksmith to one of the most important men in England. Ms Mantel has crafted a kind of stream of consciousness novel, combining actual events with the thoughts and feelings inside his head - like other reviewers I found this a challenge to begin with, but it works to flesh out Cromwell as we follow his actions.
All set against the precarious world of Henry VIII's court, where the king may turn on you at any time:

'The cardinal says, do you think this is a tilting ground? Do you think there are rules, protocols, judges to see fair play? One day, when you are still adjusting your harness, you will look up and see him thundering at you downhill.'
Planning to read the sequel once I've had a breather!
on 24 August 2017
I feel an opportunity is missed here. The times and characters are so interesting and it was one of the greatest and most influential periods of English History. However I did not experience that and there seemed so many longueurs as to fall well short of a great novel.
on 31 March 2015
I adore this book. The richness of the research, the clarity and freshness of the writing are wonderful. But mostly I love how Mantel makes Cromwell such a fully faceted human being that you like him and are rooting for him from the first line of the first page. Sheer genius. Well deserving of all its accolades.
on 12 March 2017
Very useful to be able to download onto kindle but this is only a part of the whole book and works out much more expensive than the paperback.
I love historical novels but this is heavy going.
on 26 July 2017
How did this win anything? The story is just lifted from history, the interest level flatlines and the damn book seems to go on for ever!
on 2 August 2017
Review relates to Kindle product - alas, the usual Kindle problem of missing words/lines at the end of pages (or maybe the beginning of the next page?) - particularly with a closely plotted book like Wolf Hall, I have often wondered whether I have missed a bit and paged backwards & forwards/reloaded to check - it does distract from the enjoyment.......... But the book is excellent (I think!)
on 20 July 2017
This audio book has only just arrived but as I have seen the DVD
I know that the audio book will be superb - it has 20 CDs !!
on 1 September 2017
This is one of my favourite books. A sublime masterpiece by probably our greatest living writer. The writing is breathtakingly assured and some of her descriptions of places are so good that they demand to be savoured and reread several times before moving on. Highly recommended.
on 1 September 2017
I could not stop reading it and I am now having withdrawing symptoms since I have finished the 2 books of the series. I am really looking forward to read the last one, and at the same time dreading the thought it is the last one there will be.
on 16 July 2017
Top quality for used booknow. Delighted as usual