Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2001
Paddington of course, is the cutest bear around! The story of how the Brown's found him in the station is simply delightful. It is a clearly written, beautifully illustrated book for the entire family and who could resist the little tag around his neck that says "Please look after this bear. Thank you." Our two year old loves this tale and so do we.
on 28 August 2016
Mis-sold by Amazon. 3 stars for the fact that it's Paddington, Should be 0 stars because I can't actually read the book. This book will not work on a standard Kindle. You can only read it on a Kindle Fire or using the Kindle app. My daughter has a bog standard Kindle for Kids (not a Fire). This fact is not stated until after you have downloaded the item and paid for it. Total waste of money.
on 30 December 2011
This is a lovely little book, nicely put together and well illustrated in the original style.

It is only the first chapter of the original first book though and therefore only suitable for younger children (under 8). The original first book had 8 chapters, each of which has now been turned in to a short story and book of its own. The combined 8 chapters are more suitable for older readers aged 8 and up but this is only really suitable for under the younger reader as it has limited words, although Paddington, in my view, is suitable for all ages!

Would make a nice keep sake/collection item.
on 1 August 2010
We bought this book for our 6-year-old son last Christmas and he loves it. It's just so much fun to share a book with him that we remember fondly from childhood and find that it's still as enjoyable as ever for all of us.

This format, where you get one story per book with lots of excellent illustrations is great for younger readers as well, as they can begin to read for themselves.

We've since bought "Paddington in the Garden" and "Paddington at the Zoo", and I'm sure there will be more to follow as well.
on 11 May 2017
Okay
on 20 February 2013
One of my fondest childhood memories is of watching Paddington on the television, and listening to the sublime tones of Michael Hordern recounting his adventures. When looking for a new book to entertain my two-year-old daughter, I was delighted to find this new edition, specially produced for very young children.

'Paddington' tells the story of how Mr and Mrs Brown find our favourite stowaway near the left luggage office at a London station, and take him home to become part of their family. For those familiar with the original series of books by Michael Bond, the tale is essentially an abridged version of the first two chapters of 'A Bear Called Paddington' ('Please Look After This Bear' and 'A Bear in Hot Water').

The book is beautifully illustrated by RW Alley. It's not an especially quick read, so it won't suit toddlers with very short attention spans, but it's great if you are starting to progress towards picture books with a more developed narrative than just one or two sentences per page.

I have a lovely time sharing this story with my daughter. In many ways, Paddington is like furry toddler - he gets sticky eating buns, makes a big soapy mess in the bathroom, and then falls asleep in the chair - so there's plenty for her to identify with and laugh about. We've also bought another book in this series - 'Paddington in the Garden' - and both are favourites at story time!

This review refers to the paperback edition of 'Paddington' published by Harper Collins Children's Books in 2007.
on 16 July 2014
This book is the first two chapters of the very first Paddington book. It is an absolutely delightful story and has been wonderfully illustrated. For me, these pictures are the definitive Paddington. However the kindle version is an outrage. The illustrations are distorted and cut down in a nonsensical way. Most of the pictures fail to illustrate the story because the main action is missing for example a picture of a flight of stairs with Paddington, fresh from his bath, is cut down to just the flight of stairs - no Paddington.

Please buy the paper or board version of this book and stay awY from the kindle version.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 September 2014
A lovey Paddington episode. He and the Browns visit a one-night-only circus. Paddington nearly gets himself in trouble by 'helping' the trapeze artists.

It's full, both in text and pictures. Lots is going on. I think my preschooler would have got more from it if he has had experience if a real circus but he was certainly curious and fascinated.

It's probably best for ages 3 and over as there is quite a lot of easing on each page.

An entertaining Paddington story. One we will read again.
on 22 May 2013
My son has recently become enthusiastic about Paddington after it was a topic in his classroom.I purchased this book for him and he is one happy little boy! It arrived very quickly and was well packaged.The seller(along side Amazon) sent me a courteous email to let me know that the book had been dispatched, which I thought added an extra thoughtfulness.I would definitely recommend this seller to all! Thank you!
on 16 July 2015
I really enjoyed reading this introduction to Paddington Bear with my four year old grandson. Constant repetition got him very familiar with the story and he particularly enjoyed Paddington's accident with the cream cakes and the fiasco in the bathroom. The story book helped him to understand scenes in the DVD too.
The illustrations are lovely and there is just enough text on each page.