Customer reviews

The Times Fiendish Su Doku Book 1: 200 challenging Su Doku puzzles
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 February 2009
When I started this book I was fairly clueless about how to solve Fiendish and Superfiendish Su Doku puzzles. I took note of some advice (mainly to not use too many pencil marks, usually no more than two in any cell). The author has often said that there is an inner logic to the puzzles that is there to see if you think in the right way rather than trying to solve it by some inflexible computation. After a few false starts I got into the right mindset by following that advice. I even came to realise that many Fiendish Su Doku puzzles are not really very difficult. I found that the vast majority of puzzles can be solved by identifying pairs. I also realised that I had been using x-wings a lot to solve Killer Su Doku puzzles but in a limited way. Once realised it was easy to adapt and I found that x-wings were the most frequent way of getting unstuck. The ones that are only solvable by Swordfish or other techniques not based on pairs arrive in the hardest puzzles at the end. I still find these quite difficult although sometimes a Superfiendish can be really easy for reasons I don't really understand.

The strange thing about Fiendish puzzles is that the ones at the beginning of the book are relatively easy and they get more difficult as the book progresses. So it is not advisable to do them in random order assuming Fiendish puzzles are all equally difficult.

The journey was a lot of fun.
on 24 March 2018
This was the first of The Times Fiendish SuDoku series I have tried. They suit my abilities. Hard enough to require same time and concentration but can be worked out by logic. For some very difficult Sudoku there is an element of trial and error which I don't enjoy. I bought this as a 'used' item so it was very reasonably priced and in good condition although the first few puzzles had been attempted.
on 23 November 2017
Very good buy
on 25 March 2016
Fantastic
on 30 January 2013
Bought as a Xmas present.
I understand that this is not as fiendish as the title suggests, but still a good Su Doku book
on 2 December 2017