Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2002
Beautiful and I do not mean it light-heartedly. Not a book the author feels she has to be humble about. A true work of art - almost as impressive as the painting - i said almost.
I won't talk about the story as you should be reading it right now.
Now stop browsing and buy it, (i don't work for Amazon, i mean it personally)
on 23 April 2015
Lovely story and I enjoyed both taboos nd the film.
on 8 February 2002
I had high expectations from this novel judging from the other reviewers here. Unfortunately it didn't live up to them. Although pleasantly distracting and and interesting to an extent because of historical details I really balked at certain plot developments which ring horribly false and seem out of keeping. I think the novel relies too heavily on the mystique and brilliance of Vermeers paintings, rather than creating its own. It indulges our fantasy of artistic inspiration and the process of the artist as spontaneous, passionate and obstinate. I must admit that it was a nice quick read but left me with the feeling it was a bit of a one idea novel (an idea which is a little corny - i.e. was the painter in love with this beautiful sitter?). It gives an oversimplified biographical reading of the process of the artist and does not therefore seem to match the depth of its subject matter.
on 21 April 2015
Really enjoyed it; better than the film by far.
on 4 August 2006
I read this book in 2 days and didn't want it to end. I thought it was wonderful and realistically written. I loved the ending the best, I loved the way Griet was a free woman and kept her dignity to the end.
on 15 February 2016
Book as described and delivery bang on time.
on 5 October 2015
Totally amazing for young people and old
on 20 July 2015
Another excellent book by Tracy Chevalier
on 10 January 2016
very well written - an interesting read.
on 4 January 2016
Bought as a gift and my friend loved it.