Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 November 2006
This book is a must buy! Very gripping and a great story. THe book is set in the past where tribes fought for they're lives. Bec goes on an adventure to find a young boy they call "Run fast"'s tribe. they later find out that the only people left of his tribe is the magical druid drust. they embark on a quest to shut down the demonatas source and come along lots of events on the way. Brillaint book! Before you buy this i suggest getting the first three books as these are equall as good:

1: Lord Loss

2: Demon Thief

3: Slawter

4: Bec
on 4 December 2006
Im sorry, but there is no way that anyone can say this book lacks a compelong story. Ok maybe not completly original, all of the other three share roughly the same story, with the main difference being the characters, but as others say, I found the book utterly unputdownable. I believe Darren Shan to be the best modern day writter and this book made me realise this even more.

I think it is very clever the way he writes in celtic times, using words people of that time would have said, for example: Tuath meaning country. There is a word guide in the back of the book that states the meaning of the strange words.

I also thought that the story had a good ending, although I can see what others mean when they say that it was weak.

It is worth buying, so too are the other three of his series,

Lord loss

Demon theif

I would advise buying the other three before reading this, as the fourth book explains mysteries from the other three books.

His acclaimed vampire series is also very good
on 27 October 2006
Darren Shan is one of those few authors who I cannot put down. I rank him up there with Eoin Colfer, JK Rowling, Robert Muchamore and Anthony Horowitz in my book collection. If you haven't read this series, you're missing out on some great reading and this book is the best in this series yet. Without trying to give too much away, WHAT A SHOCKER of a finish. A word of warning.....if you buy this series of books and especially this book -BEC- you will most probably have to buy the books that follow!!
on 13 November 2006
I have read all darren shan books and was so eager to read this. When i got it it was so good i read it 24 7. Its all you exspect a darren shan book to be, scary, exciting and very dark. Lord loss is back to his best in this thrilling adventure that you MUST READ
on 22 January 2007
I've been reading Darren Shan for years now, and I've kept up to date with all his books. For me, this series is nowhere near as good as his last series, but it's still a compelling and unique enough read. I didn't particularly like Slawter - well, I did, but I thought it was the worst of the series - so I was pleased to find that I enjoyed Bec. Nevertheless, I'm still waiting for the magic of his last series to appear, because I'm a little unimpressed with the Demonata so far. It's good, and I can't deny that Shan is a capable writer who knows his genre well, but I'm finding the individual books a little same-y.

Bec introduces us to a new set of characters and I'm glad about that, because that made it more interesting than Slawter. What I also enjoy are the small ways that Shan connects all the books, and it was nice to see the beginning of the curse on the Grady family. I think Demon Thief is my favourite so far - I can't wait to see more of Kernel - but Bec is more on a level with the first book than Slawter. I think Shan just needs to shake things up a little because Slawter especially felt like it had no impact on the series, and was merely a filler book.

I think I'm in the minority with preferring Bec to Slawter. I guess it was rather slow paced and there's a lot of portions where few significant events happen, but I still found it enjoyable. And, as always, Shan's refusal to pander to the expectations of children's books is refreshing, although I find some of his gore scenes a little too glorified in a way that's not creepy, but just feels as if he wanted to be gory.

I don't recommend reading all the books at once. The books took a plunge with Slawter for me, and still aren't quite back up to the standard of Lord Loss and the Demon Thief. Don't let this put you off - the series is definitely worth a read and Darren Shan's writing is enjoyable as always.
on 11 February 2007
When I purchased Bec I knew that there were going to be new characters anyone who has read his Demonata books would know that every 2nd book explains the history of the Demonata, the Grady curse and the Diciples.This book explains Lord Loss's facination with chess and many other things as well.This book was placed in celtic times, which I liked,

I couldn't work out where!

I enjoyed Bec so much! A fantastic read.
on 11 January 2015
While I didn't actively dislike Bec, I did feel as though it was the weakest novel in the series so far. While it is faster paced than Slawter, it did not really contribute anything noticeable to the overarching plot.

All of the aspects raised in this novel - the machinations of the Demonata, the magic system, the creation of "tunnels" to the other world - have been explored in the previous three stories and I did not feel that Bec developed these ideas beyond what I already knew. There were a couple of elements - the origin of the Grady family and Lord Loss's obsession with chess - which were kind of interesting to see but these seemed to be more curios than important details that needed to be told.

The story's setting is also markedly different to the other novels (while Demon Thief was set in to 1970s and the other two were present day, Bec is set sometime around AD 300). It was interesting to see Shan writing outside of his comfort zone and the Celtic elements were nicely integrated into the novel, yet in terms of characterisation it seemed to be lacking. The only character I really empathised with was Bran, and that was purely because he did not understand what was going on for 90% of the time. I did not really care if any of the others lived or died, especially as I could tell that most had little significance in the greater scheme of things.

Bec was also a bit of a disappointment as a character. I was curious to see how Shan would write a female protagonist, as his female secondary characters are often rather shallow. While Bec was not badly written, I also never really grew attached to her. I loved Kernal in Demon Thief and, by the end of Slawter, had also warmed to Grubbs but I just felt too far removed from Bec. Her motivation felt as though it came entirely from a sense of duty rather than personal desire and, personally, this made it hard for me to sympathise with her plight. Maybe she'll grow on me later - only time will tell.

All in all, the book was alright and didn't bore me but it also just didn't interest me in the same way that the others did. Hopefully the overarching plot will take hold again in the next novel.
on 2 August 2013
I'm back with Darren Shan's books :D
At once I felt the excitement and fast pace of the story and writing pull me in and I was off, racing through the pages absorbing every word and desperate for more.
These books really are addictive, they just grab you and make you want to read on.
This is throwing me off a bit though, book 1 featured Grubbs Grady as our main hero, book 2 moved to follow Kernel Fleck and worked as a prequel, book 3 was then back with Grubbs and now book 4 follows Bec and is set even further forward than book 2 was, it seems to be that every other book journeys back into the past to set up a bit more of the history and the world. It's a strange way of doing things but it also sort of works, it keeps you hungering for Grubbs' story but also makes you want to know what's coming in this book.
And I have to say that I think this book is my favourite in the series so far, I love the way the world is set up and the writing is so rich that it felt like it was coming off the page, I could picture everything clearly and all the characters too, it was like watching the movie in my head whilst I read! :D
These books are quite spooky and dark in places and some points had me cringing and wishing my imaginations wasn't so good. If someone had told me even 5 years ago that I would be reading books like this I would have laughed and told them they were mad, but I am really glad I gave them a try and it's a sign of how much my reading tastes have changed that I love these books so much.
I can't wait for the next one.
on 13 October 2015
Absolutely love Darren Shane! One of my absolute favourite authors, along with Christopher paolini, Terry pratchett, Wayne Sefton and George Martin.These books are very gripping and enticing and they only get better as you go through the series. I always need to read more.
on 13 August 2015
Arrived in fantastic condition the day after I ordered it. Perfect hardback book with an immaculate dust cover. Perfect read. A definite buy for any Darren Shan reader. Especially one who likes the Demonata series.