on 9 December 2016
Arrived very quick , very impressed !!!! Nice and new and well packaged , thank you my son will be very happy :)
on 19 April 2014
I love love love this book and had it when I was younger. Great to read again and got my younger brothers into reading too.
on 5 July 2013
Darren Shan's worst book.I found it repetitive and boring. So glad i borrowed a copy instead of burning money on this heartless snorefest. UTTERLY DISSAPOINTED : (
on 4 December 2006
Im sorry, but there is no way that anyone can say this book lacks a compelong story. Ok maybe not completly original, all of the other three share roughly the same story, with the main difference being the characters, but as others say, I found the book utterly unputdownable. I believe Darren Shan to be the best modern day writter and this book made me realise this even more.

I think it is very clever the way he writes in celtic times, using words people of that time would have said, for example: Tuath meaning country. There is a word guide in the back of the book that states the meaning of the strange words.

THIS BOOK IS DEFINATLEY NOT BORING I coulndt put it down.

I also thought that the story had a good ending, although I can see what others mean when they say that it was weak.

It is worth buying, so too are the other three of his series,

Lord loss

Demon theif

Slawter

I would advise buying the other three before reading this, as the fourth book explains mysteries from the other three books.

His acclaimed vampire series is also very good
on 5 January 2017
This is my daughters favourite book now she has finished it, she found the book very helpful for English literature
on 13 November 2006
This book is a must buy! Very gripping and a great story. THe book is set in the past where tribes fought for they're lives. Bec goes on an adventure to find a young boy they call "Run fast"'s tribe. they later find out that the only people left of his tribe is the magical druid drust. they embark on a quest to shut down the demonatas source and come along lots of events on the way. Brillaint book! Before you buy this i suggest getting the first three books as these are equall as good:

1: Lord Loss

2: Demon Thief

3: Slawter

4: Bec
on 27 October 2006
Darren Shan is one of those few authors who I cannot put down. I rank him up there with Eoin Colfer, JK Rowling, Robert Muchamore and Anthony Horowitz in my book collection. If you haven't read this series, you're missing out on some great reading and this book is the best in this series yet. Without trying to give too much away, WHAT A SHOCKER of a finish. A word of warning.....if you buy this series of books and especially this book -BEC- you will most probably have to buy the books that follow!!
on 29 December 2013
After reading and thoroughly enjoying the first three books in the Demonata series, I started reading Bec with high expectations. I am sorry to say I struggled to finish this. It seemed completely out of character with the previous books and I ended up skipping whole chapters in an effort to find the good bits, but I never found them. I felt completely let down and gave it up before I became completely bored.
on 13 November 2006
I have read all darren shan books and was so eager to read this. When i got it it was so good i read it 24 7. Its all you exspect a darren shan book to be, scary, exciting and very dark. Lord loss is back to his best in this thrilling adventure that you MUST READ
on 22 January 2007
I've been reading Darren Shan for years now, and I've kept up to date with all his books. For me, this series is nowhere near as good as his last series, but it's still a compelling and unique enough read. I didn't particularly like Slawter - well, I did, but I thought it was the worst of the series - so I was pleased to find that I enjoyed Bec. Nevertheless, I'm still waiting for the magic of his last series to appear, because I'm a little unimpressed with the Demonata so far. It's good, and I can't deny that Shan is a capable writer who knows his genre well, but I'm finding the individual books a little same-y.

Bec introduces us to a new set of characters and I'm glad about that, because that made it more interesting than Slawter. What I also enjoy are the small ways that Shan connects all the books, and it was nice to see the beginning of the curse on the Grady family. I think Demon Thief is my favourite so far - I can't wait to see more of Kernel - but Bec is more on a level with the first book than Slawter. I think Shan just needs to shake things up a little because Slawter especially felt like it had no impact on the series, and was merely a filler book.

I think I'm in the minority with preferring Bec to Slawter. I guess it was rather slow paced and there's a lot of portions where few significant events happen, but I still found it enjoyable. And, as always, Shan's refusal to pander to the expectations of children's books is refreshing, although I find some of his gore scenes a little too glorified in a way that's not creepy, but just feels as if he wanted to be gory.

I don't recommend reading all the books at once. The books took a plunge with Slawter for me, and still aren't quite back up to the standard of Lord Loss and the Demon Thief. Don't let this put you off - the series is definitely worth a read and Darren Shan's writing is enjoyable as always.