on 9 January 2010
It reminds me of the style of Charles Bukowski - cynic and sarcastic, self-destructive and insecure - such is the character of the book which is divided into 2 novels which can be read as not interrelated as well. The plot in Holiday in a coma is quite surreal - a big party with celebrities being flushed into a giant toilet - a bit of a William Burrows plot.. but the thought and ideas between the lines of the conversations are the ones that make it very strong and beautiful and romantic.. About the lost souls who resent the society they are in and want to escape but cannot as it is too late and they have lost all motivation around it. Love lasts 3 years is about the character of Frederic Beigbeder who is madly and stupidly in love with his lover who does not want to leave her husband for him because she thinks that the reason why she and her lover have such passion for each other is because they are not together and because they are meeting secretly which makes it so special. It is a happy end which was quite a relief for me who was hoping that love doesn't last only 3 years :) As usual the author makes you laugh and cry together with him. Beautifully written.
on 4 January 2014
Like he said on his book, this is his brain. 'Love Lasts Three Years' was the reason I bought the book and the author is persuading me about his frustrating theory, love is just an illusion.
on 5 March 2015
Highly disappointed. pretty boring
on 21 January 2010
Well I was really surprised to get the book in a day - excellent delivery (bonus for Amazon)! And even more surprised, as a person who is not really a big reader, to digest 'Love lasts Three Years' in two goes (days). What I really mean by this is that this part of the book is really easy to read and really captivates you: firstly you can't believe how much it is true and how much author's thinking matches to your secret suspicions, second you want to discover the disaster that you know it is leading to as this is why your suspicions are just the suspicions and finally you actually get disappointed by a happy ending - at least I was.
So despite, that the prelude of the book is excellent I think it is very much solo of attitude and perception wrapped in bitter cynicism...
But just for this reason I guess I would recommend this story to anybody to read.

Holiday in a coma - for me was really pointless, I read it but it was more like `I must do it' as I had a book, rather than `I forgot the entire world as I went to live to a book'. Did not like this part...sorry...
on 19 October 2011
My intention is far from trying to comment the plot line of "Love lasts three years". After all, what makes a novel worthwhile in the first place is not the story itself, but the substance of it and the insight it brings - something this book surely misses. Begbeider is admittedly an enthusiastic wannabe writer, who gives a misleading notion from the very start. Being so caught up in his big ego and hype adopted concepts, he is completely inept in transmitting his personal message to the reader. What he ends up with is a soon-to-be-forgotten book, full of common overused cliches, inconsistencies and contradictions, which could easily fit into the tight columns of Cosmopolitan magazine.
on 14 October 2014
very happy
on 24 December 2012
I got this book after one Russian girlfriend of mine suggested it to me. Easy reading (more like beach reading - personally I hate beach reading) and swallow meanings. It surely aims at the female population. Exactly what you expect from a French writer.