Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 October 2009
In some ways this little dictionary is impressive that it manages to cram as much as it does into it. There's even a little phrase part at the back of the book.

As a total beginner in Portuguese it serves my language needs just fine. It has all the words I need in it, but I wouldn't think it suitable for GCSE or higher use as it doesn't give enough real world examples.

For a tourist or beginner like myself then it has all the words I currently need.

My main disappointment is its physical size. Yes, I wanted a small dictionary but this one is small but far too chunky which means it won't fit easily into either my folder or my pocket. Far better to have made it A5 size with correspondingly fewer pages so that is was still pocket sized but far thinner. Its chunkiness also makes it a bit fiddly to use with its tiny pages and no real body to hold.

The other thing is that is says proudly on the cover "In Colour" - what they mean is that each main word is printed in blue whilst the rest is printed in black. Now, if they had printed the Brazilian Portugues word blue and the European Portguese word dark green if might have made more sense! A minor gripe but a lost opportunity I feel to exploit the colour potential.

As I say it's too chunky for me and I'm actively looking now for a physically larger but thinner dictionary that I can actually fit into my pocket and study folder.
on 21 May 2010
This dictionary is fantastic as a casual dictionary although it lacks the depth needed to be a real concise definitive guide.

It's fine for everyday use but not if you need real in-depth Portuguese (it's not good enough for my 10 year old to use, when he starts at a Portuguese school in September, for example)

I DO, however, love the "colour" aspect of it. Having the main dictionary words in blue bold type and the definitions in black type definitely makes it easier to read.
I just ordered the new 2010 larger hardback version of this and, despite being shown in the Amazon picture as "in colour", it isn't!
Wish it was..it's easier..but I'm not sure it warrants complaint really.

Oh, the handy letter writing guide in the middle is pretty good too. An English-Portuguese kind of comparison between written letters, greetings, sentence formation etc. Basic but useful