on 20 December 2005
This is an improvement on the last book - which was already very good and changed the way I eat - forever! seriously!
This one is laid out with 3 different 7-day plans that cater for pretty much every way of life. There's 'foodie friendly' which is really healthy fast food essentially - from recipes, to 'grab and go' ideas. There's a really comprehensive vegetarian plan that includes fast and convenient recipes. Then there's the 'foodie friendly' plan for those of us that like cooking. I, like I imagine most, mix the three depending on the type of week / day I have.
The book also goes into a lot of detail about why certain food groups are good, and explains those groups that are confusing - like bread, root veg, pasta, rice etc, and why some are better than others glycaemically.
The food lists are more comprehensive, and also include portion guidelines for those of us that find coming out of the 'counting' regimes (calories, points, carbs etc) hard to live without. This I know is from the feedback the authors had on forums the very supportive website that comes alongside the book.
For a busy life, and for those who felt that their lot was to be big (well, that's where I was having failed at every other diet) this is a life saver. And personally I can't recommend it enough.
I am a foodie, from a foodie family, with foodie friends, and this has revolutionised the way our life runs. And as someone who entertains a lot - all I have had is compliments, and not a single complaint! so the recipes are good too!!
What I also like is that this is not just a 'rehash' of the last book. It is different, complimentary, with more detail and more research, developments and brilliant recipes, ideas and advice.
My thanks to Nigel and crew for bringing us the GL and this book - and I'm off to put in my pre-order for the cookery book coming out in May apparently!
x Claire
on 24 March 2016
I bought this book by mistake but I'm so glad I did. It's easy to read and use. There are sections for people who like to prepare meals and foE those who just like to eat quick meals. I have lost 9lb in 4 weeks. Trying different foods has made it easy and I have not been hungry once!
on 2 October 2014
This book is pitched just right ,Iwish I'd found it years ago !.
It doesn't feel like a diet but I'm steadly loosing weight on it.
I bought the cookbook as well to give more recipes.
on 27 March 2017
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 February 2014
My husband lost a stone in 6 months following this diet. We are really pleased. I have only lost 3 lbs so I think it must be a metabolism thing. But the book is full of information.
on 3 June 2016
I find this book so very useful to refer to. Mainly to help me maintain a healthy blood sugar level.
on 14 April 2014
A+ product and service. Will use again. Good price, fast service. I cannot fault this transaction in any way. Thank you
on 11 February 2014
I would use this as a complement to other diets and correspond the recipes to ensure balance in your diet
on 23 March 2006
I bought the first book by Denby et al last autumn (2005). A friend had suggested the Holford Diet to me, and I simply added the other book to my Amazon order on a whim. It has been one of the best random choices I have made.
Holford was interesting, and very knowledgeable - but the Denby book was so easily accessible, and so full of unpretentious but delicious recipes that it made adjusting my eating habits remarkably simple -and, dare I say it, fun!
By combining the recipes with regular exercise I lost two stone in four months - not bad for a middle-aged man who originally weighed over fifteen stone. I succeeded despite many lapses, and without being overstrict.
The most impressive part was that the GL concept dramatically reduced my desire for even the most delicious sweet things and chocolates.
I bought the new book to renew my commitment after lapsing for a month [Christmas, birthday, family visits, trip abroad - all filled with temptation] and have been even more impressed.
Firstly, the layout and style make for easy reading - the font is lovely and clear, the headings unpretentious - all creating a book that is easy to browse through. [Compare this with 'You are what you eat' which is only really accessible to the totally colourblind!]. There are lots of commonsense touches, such as having two indexes, one for recipes the other for general information. The compact size means that this is no coffee-table book, but something which just emerges from the shelf on a daily basis. There are no carefully composed pristine pictures to make one feel inadequate to the task - after the first glance pictures in a recipe book are not all that useful.
There is plenty of theory, but somehow it does not get in the way of the fact that this is will mostly be used as a recipe book. The way the plans are presented makes it just as easy to use by the casual and haphazard dieter [such as myself] and the highly systematic one [who will get some clear 7-day plans to follow].
And the main reason.....
it works, it works, it works!
0Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 March 2006
Forget the diet. Buy this book for the recipes.
In fact, buy it just for the Nutty Seedy Bread recipe, you won't regret it. Of course, while you eat that, you can browse through the other recipes, and there'll be lots you want to try. Chilli, lime and ginger chicken, for example. Chunky bean and bacon soup.
Prawns with mucho-spicy dip; though I wouldn't really call it spicy, it has fresh ginger, garlic, dill, mustard and worcester sauce. I would call it delicious, though. Warm French Bean Salad, with chili, soy sauce and sesame seeds.
Mouth watering yet?
I've already bought the peanuts for the Spicy Peanut Chicken (this is dipped in ground peanuts and baked, and not the Indonesian style chicken with peanut sauce.) Plus the ingredients for the chickpea and pepper salad.
Best of all, the recipes are so easy and take so little time and effort. Except the nutty seedy bread, which needs the wholewheat cycle on the bread machine, and it really is a pity to wait so long to eat it.
11 Comment| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse