Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(5 star). See all 20 reviews
on 28 March 2006
An excellent book that is creative in its approach, design and delivery. There are lots of ideas in here to stimulate and energise your own creative juices. I've also found it's brilliant for starting up conversations in coffee shops when left on the table beside you. People will comment, in my experience it's guaranteed!
on 22 February 2006
I've read tonnes of books on creativity, trying to find something practical and fun to help me come up with inspiring new ideas. How to Have Kick-Ass Ideas is the first in a long time that did just that. It's easy to dip in and out of, and has a light and witty tone that makes it un-put-downable!
on 14 February 2009
I personally love this book. However, another review about the ridiculousness of some of the suggestions in the book, like "sleep on the other side", "do the dishes", etc, has opened my mind up to a caveat that probably should have been written somewhere on the cover of this book.

In order to really appreciate and benefit from this book, you must be a curious AND contemplative person by habit, and ideally, you need to be looking for something but you don't know what it is exactly just yet. Actually I am inclinded to say that it is a requirement before buying this book, that you are looking for something unknown.

I think it is actually an admirable type of people who may not like this book; they're probably well disciplined people who can straightforwardly use procedures or steps that lead to known, specific results. They're people who know exactly what they want, exactly what they enjoy, and have minimal trouble persevering with the steps necessary to achieve their desired results. If you're like this, then I personally think this book is of no use to you. You're better off buying a scientific or instructional book that explains to you how exactly you can achieve something specific.

On the other hand, if you're the dreamy, contemplative, curious, fickle, quickly-bored, creative, adventurous, explorative, yet lost type of person, then my guess is that you'll love this book.

My own summary of the need that this book may fill is to read it if you are looking for something and you don't know what it is, whether you need to do this for work to come up with new creative ideas or for life to find your life's purpose. But it is not enough by itself; it is just a great addition to the friendly help you can get along the way.
on 14 February 2006
What a read! Ever been at a crossroads, needing inspiration and need assistance to find new and different ideas than your competitors? Want to kick start your creative processes within your company? Look no further! This is a real find! This book is the spring board you've been looking for! It's fun, straight forward, insightful, and full of really useful proverbs, tips and gob-smacking good ideas! Looking forward to the re-read! A real must for all, whether you are in business and want to bring some new thinking and freshness to your team or simply just want to be personally inspired, this is the book to do all that and more! Highly recommend!!
on 15 January 2006
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. For the first time in a long time I have read it cover to cover in about 2 sessions (last night and this morning), and have used the methods within as stimulus to generate hundreds of new ideas already.
The book bridges a gap between creativity principles and self help as it offers the readers tools that could be applicable in work and in play.
I have read a lot of books on the principles and structured methods of creativity - this one just seems to sum it up in a very actionable and readable way using interesting examples of where you can use the techniques and real life anecdotes from ?whatif! (the author's innovation consultancy employer) and the author's own life experiences.
I think this book will inspire and motivate anyone from 'stuck in a rut dead-end jobbers' looking for a way out, to wannabe creative mavericks (designers, marketers etc.) looking for new tools to wow their clients.
on 14 February 2006
There are two things that make this book so good; one is how easy it is to try the tools and techniques out; the second is its overall tone. The author, whilst obviously loving both helping people and the subject matter (having ideas), channels his enthusiasm into putting the reader at ease: This stuff could change your life...but it could just help you figure out where to go on your next holiday or how to get more out of next weekend.
Subjects like self-belief or state (your various moods) are explained in simple yet unpatronising ways and as with the entire book it is up to us readers how far we go with them.
You can use bits and pieces from the book however you like and there is never a sense that it must be read through from front to back (though I did cos I couldn't put it down!) and then used in some structured way.
It is a very easy read and does what it says on the cover - helps you have kick ass ideas.
on 21 February 2006
This is a fabulous book - the last thing I read that gave me so many practical tools and techniques around creative approaches was a book called 'Sticky Wisdom' by the company that the author works for, ?Whatif!. What sets 'How To Have Kick-Ass Ideas' way apart from other titles in this category is the tone in which it's written - the author is funny, doesn't take himself too seriously and obviously lives and breathes the stuff he writes about. I've tried a few things out from the book and have already got some new ideas on how to tackle both work and play issues.
Also Mr.Barez-Brown obviously has great musical taste as he name checks a singer/songwriter called Josh Rouse who is my favourite artist (listen to '1972' to see why).
If you need a bit of help having some ideas or want to make your life even better then read this book - anyone who recommends going to the pub as a creative technique gets my vote!
on 24 January 2006
This book was so energetic and energising I read it in one day - mainly on my long train commute. It certainly got me & others curious - I noticed several people craning their necks to read it over my shoulder or upside down across the aisle ! I say to them "buy your own copy ! " - this isn't a read it once & then stick it on the shelf to get dusty, it's full of really practical, have a go now advice & tools. I finished it feeling reinvigorated & ready to get going on some of my own dreams & ideas. Powerful stuff.
on 15 February 2007
I absolutely loved this book! Creativity is a bit of a currency at the moment but How to Get Kick Ass Ideas gave me loads of easy, practical techniques which I'm now using everyday. Great for blowing out the cobwebs! I buy it for all my boring friends.
on 13 March 2010
This is a great book, whether you want to boost or unleash the creativity of your team or if you want to do some personal work, (or a combination of these). Getting stuck in a rut is one of the worst things, at work or in our non-work lives and this book has heaps of ways to move us on. And best of all, it is great fun too and that helps so much; the author's joy-in-life shines through and makes you want to get in there (get out there) and do things. He has "been there" and this book shows you practical things that worked for him and others he has work with. Well done Chris!