Customer reviews

1,122
The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Format: Perfect Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2017
Brought this book for my two year old and he is really enjoying being read it. I read this book as a child myself and it's lovely to be able to read it to my son now. My son doesn't quite understand the story yet but the illustrations are great and it's an easy read so it keeps him entertained throughout. I try to make sounds and change my tone as i'm reading it so it's engaging for him.
on 22 August 2017
'The Tiger who came to Tea' by Judith Kerr is one of my favourite children's stories. It tells the story of a tiger who knocks on Sophie's door one day and invites himself to tea. One of the aspects of the story that I like is how this astonishing event is told in a very ordinary, matter-of-fact way.

I do not remember reading this book when I was a child, but it seems to be a tale that has remained popular over the years. I enjoyed reading it together with my four year old alongside other books such as going on a bear hunt. The book is one of my sons favourite bedtime stories, and is full of lovely illustrations that any child would enjoy looking at, very captivating and fuel for the imagination.

The tiger who came to tea is now in the theatre and I hopefully will be going to watch it as I know it will bring the story more to life. I highly recommend this book. It is a good read and i highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new storytime book to read, and i learnt a important life lesson from this book, dont try and drink ALL the water from the tap and a single tin of tiger food will fill you up as much as a entire household full of food lol :)
on 11 April 2017
Purchased for our one year old granddaughter's visits. Although she is not old enough to understand the book, she constantly picks this one out from all the others. (Perhaps it's the handle).. I have read it so many times that I can quote it in my sleep. Would thoroughly recommend.
on 13 July 2016
This is an absolutely lovely book. My children enjoyed the original and I am really looking forward to reading this to my grandchildren. I would note one small warning though: some of the paper engineering is a little bit difficult for younger hands, and even adults need to practice it a few times, to make sure that they don't break the parts. It's also worth doing a dry run, on your own, to unstick some of the movements, which are a bit tacky on a newly purchased book. Also, take care to move the correct bits: some parts open like pages, while others involve pulling 'arrowed' tabs. Things get a lot easier after the book has been used a few times, but it's worth breaking it in carefully :-)
on 14 August 2017
I was always jealous of people who had this book when I was a kid, so I bought it to read to my daughter. There is a lovely sense of nostalgia in the book (a milkman? The grocer boy?) but also a bit of "daddy works and mummy cooks the dinner". It's ok though-just a product of the time it was written. The illustrations are charming and simple and the size of the book is good to capture the gaze of kids. The length is good for baby bed time too.
on 19 March 2016
A classic story that I enjoyed myself as a youngster and so purchased it to share with the children at the setting where I work who also love looking at this book with me. A far-fetched story of a tiger who came to tea one night and ate all the food in a little girls house. Beautiful illustrations that adults and children will both adore and children seem to find the hungry tiger pretty amusing! Timeless story to share with your little ones.
on 26 March 2017
One of the best and a firm favourite in our house. Loved by children and parents
on 13 February 2017
My autistic son is very particular in what he likes and he LOVES this book. We have brought many copies not because of poor quality but because he's worn them out.
on 9 May 2016
I was advised to get this from others who remember it and although I don't quite understand how they could let such a cheeky tiger eat them out of house and home, my 3 yr old enjoys the story and that's what is important. The illustrations are fun and encourage my daughter to discuss the story as we read it which helps develop her reading comprehension.
on 2 December 2014
A classic book that is engaging for young children both through the language used, and by the great pictures. This is a firm favourite of my children, and I am now buying it for younger cousins (as my children are not happy to part with their copy, even though we have been reading it on a regular basis for years!). It is also worth noting that, if your children do learn to love this book there are some lovely tiger tea sets on the market to extend the play and enjoyment of the book further.