Customer reviews

The Whale Road (The Oathsworn Series, Book 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 November 2016
The first 100 pages were a bit of a slog and I nearly gave up. So glad I stuck with it though because the I quickly became engaged and the story turned into a thrilling page turner. Looking forward to the rest of the series
on 30 July 2017
Not the easiest book to read which did start a little slow but eventually got better. Orm the Bear slayer is an interesting character, I look forward to what the rest of the series has in mind for him.
on 15 March 2017
Good read but I never really felt like I had a strong handle on what was happening and why. The characters were not as richly developed as some other historical fiction I've read. If you like the author then certainly worth a read but I found it an effort to finish.
on 28 May 2017
Oh dear,
A subject I love, but this was not a good book in my opinion. Characters appeared on one page and disaappeared for ever. Jumbled plot, no
sorry did not enjoy it.
on 19 June 2017
excellent
on 31 March 2017
cracking
on 23 March 2017
It's a decent story, but no real depth of chatacter other than orm. I will read the next one to see if there is improvement.
on 23 July 2011
As a writer myself I'm aware of all the pitfalls of using -ly adverbs in your dialogue and plotting without using three acts etc. This book which sufferes from various similar problems is just stunning despite any writing flaws.
I learned a lot from reading this book, one of them is that when you have a stunning story to tell and an excellent voice, the story takes the reader and transports them to where you are going and they don't notice any of the narrative flaws.
This is one such book and I thoroughly recommenbd it.
My only criticism is the main character's name. Orm was the name of Bengtsson's hero in 'The Long Ships' and maybe Low should have chosen a different name though to be honest it doesn't detract from a stunning, exciting, page-turning tale, which I only wish I could emulate in my own writing!
In short - brilliant!
I will certainly read the next one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 September 2015
The Whale Road is a very fascinating read about the vikings the author has added some real humanity to the book the fight scenes are described vividly i have read a lot of books based around the viking era lately and this is one of the best. Robert Low has described the 10th century and viking life with a lot of passion i could not put the book down a great story from a author who knows what he is writing about highly recommended.
on 19 February 2016
This is the first in a series of books following a band of Vikings on a hunt for Attila the Hun’s treasure. It’s heavily touted as a read for those who like Bernard Cornwell’s books. I can’t provide a detailed review because it was bought as a gift for someone who loves to read historical fiction (and is big fan of Cornwell’s work – including the Saxon series). However he has reported that he had to abandon the The Whale Road because he found the ‘authentic’ Viking speech very irritating and that it got in the way of the story.
This may not be your experience but I would urge you to take advantage of the opportunity to read the opening before you buy.
I have given it three stars because it didn’t seem fair to slate it when I haven’t even read it, but the fact that it put off an avid historical fiction fan does suggest it isn’t the most riveting of reads.