on 16 April 2016
These are the recordings I used to listen to as a child on tape, so they will always have a special place for me, but I shall try to be as unbiased as possible!

Michael Hordern has a tremendous resonant voice perfectly suited to this sort of narration. He reads them in a way that would appeal to a child, but does not seem childish to an adult. They are abridged, but it does not seem excessive and although Narnia fans may well spot the sections missing, I struggled to recall anything from the books which was not in the recording. The other point to mention is the accompanying music - I realise it won't be to everyone's taste, but it never strikes me as overbearing or diverting from the story - in fact it adds to it in a way that the words alone (great as they are) cannot. The sound quality both for the spoken word and the music is excellent.

The gift set I bought was imported from the US (as it seems very hard to get hold of in the UK). I'm unsure how similar the packaging is to the UK version. It was quite reasonable and practical, although somewhat bulky - there are quite a few discs, but other spoken word CD collections I've seen are much more compact - this is effectively a mini-ring binder for CDs; I don't think it would be a problem for most people (since they're likely to transfer them to an electronic format) but it might be less helpful if you're going to listen to them on CD in a car.
on 15 November 2017
These books have been among my favorites since I was a child and I still read them from time to time even though it has been an awful lot of years since I could be classed as a child! I have always felt that there are 'layers' to these stories and the older you get, the more layers you discover. Each book is a complete story in it's own right with the magic of Narnia weaving it's way through them all but reading them in order develops the Chronicles properly . I always feel that The Magicians Nephew is overlooked as a lot of people have never heard of it but I think it is important to read it first as it sets the scene for all that will follow. My set is somewhat worn now but this new set is for my youngest Granddaughter who I hope will love them as much as I do. 'Must read' classics in my opinion!
on 22 February 2016
Classic stories in cheap and flimsy paperback. If you want to keep them for posterity then this is not the set to buy. If you want just read then then they're fine. I'm reading them to my kids and the stories are great with old fashioned line illustrations.
on 3 March 2016
There is no need to comment on the quality of the books so I will limit myself to the quality of the edition. I bought the hardcover box set The Chronicles of Narnia box set (The Chronicles of Narnia) ([...]). I can confirm that the books are nicely bound (sewn not glued) and presented. The original illustration are inlcuded in full colour.
on 16 November 2015
Great value for money. These books are classics for a reason. I got all 7 books for £10, you can't get better that that. All these book from my childhood I am now reading them to my kids. The love them. All the books come with the original illustrations. Great book for a great price.
on 20 December 2015
A classic timeless chronicle. I read these as a child and am now reading them to my own little one. More fantastical than Harry Potter, much less verbose than LOTR. If you've never read these books, or at least don't know any of the stories other than The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe then it's worth picking up the set and reading them all, they're great books. Each is actually quite short - only around 170 pages - so most people could probably finish one in an evening.
on 21 May 2016
Bought this series to read to my daughter (6) as they were favourites of mine when I was younger. She has loved them so far, just finished "The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe". She told me she closes her eyes and can imagine the stories in her head :) Hopefully, this will help build her appreciation for books and how they can fuel the imagination more than any film.
on 8 April 2006
This box set is a truly wonderful gift for Narnia fans of all ages. And, dare I say it, I actually prefer it to the unabridged books which I've read. I never thought I'd say that! Although as these books are so short, there's not a grate deal missed out. Perhaps some of the really young lines where the author addresses the reader or compares life in Narnia to life in England, so nothing really major left out.
What makes this box set so special is the musical score that was written for it. The books are read by Michael Hordan, who is sadly no longer with us. He has a wonderfully distinctive voice which really transports the reader in to Narnia in a way that no other reader has ever managed. His narration is accompanied by some beautiful music played on harp and flute.
I first got these books from the library when I was quite little, and my life-long love of Narnia was born. They remain some of my favourite books and I was delighted when they came out on CD years later and I was able to by them. I well remember lying on my bed, listening to The scene in The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe when Aslan is killed, sobbing my heart out. His death was accompanied by Moon Light Sonata, which made it all the more powerful, and is consequently my favourite piece of classical music.
I can hear people saying, "music and narration together? Oh please no!" but I assure you, it really does work, and it's not the whole way through. There are certain theme tunes you come to recognize, like those for Aslan or the white which. I remember trying to listen to the books without music and it just wasn't the same. It just helps to add an extra bit of wonder and magic to Lewes's timeless imagination.
11 Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 May 2016
I loved these books as a kid. 10 year old not so keen but she is a lazy so and so who wastes her time on a tablet watching utter guff and chatting with friends she only saw 5 minutes earlier. That said, good value for the complete collection.
on 26 February 2014
Bought this as a birthday present for my little 9 year old cousin as she loves her books. I was a bit late on reading the Narnia books at 29, but fell in love with all of them!

The only bad comment I can make about them is the fact that the box is very tight. We have to be careful when putting the books back in as the box is rather thin and will be ripped if not careful.

Aside from that, delivery was very quick and the books look perfect!

Thank you.