The Plantagenets
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 October 2013
A surprisingly easy history book to read, well thought out and written in a manner which means you could revisit it for information on any of the kings/periods written about. Overflowing with information, it gives the reader an insight into the era and the men and women who made up England at the time.
on 20 September 2014
excellent delivery, book entertaining
on 26 September 2014
As it is a paperback I am taking it on holiday
on 13 December 2014
What a dynasty, what a book!
on 9 May 2016
Growing up in Southern California during the late 50s and early 60s in a middle-class WASP environment, I, an avid reader born of two avid readers, was almost predestined to be exposed to stories of King Arthur, Robin Hood, and King Richard the Lionheart. Plus, going to a Catholic grade school, we learned of King Henry VIII, who treated several of his wives most shamefully and tore his realm from the bosom of Mother Church. Thus, by 1975, I was primed for my first visit to England. Upon my return, I stumbled upon the magnificent 4-volume set on the Plantagenet kings by Thomas Costain (THE CONQUERING FAMILY, THE MAGNIFICENT CENTURY, THE THREE EDWARDS, THE LAST PLANTAGENETS). I was hooked then, and for life, on British history, and I’ve returned to the island more times than I can offhand remember and travelled to all its corners and most points in between.

THE PLANTAGENETS by Dan Jones, though it concludes with Richard II while Costain’s series continues to Richard III’s overthrow by Henry Tudor (Henry VII), is simply a magnificent reminder to me four decades later why I came to love England and Great Britain more perhaps than my own country.

THE PLANTAGENETS contains eight pages of color photos. Surprisingly, it’s in this section that I noticed a glaring mistake, rather surprising since the book as a whole is obviously such a work of love for the author. One of the snaps is of Conwy, one of Edward I’s Welsh castles. The trouble is, it’s not Conwy, but Harlech. That’s like mislabeling a photo of London’s Westminster Cathedral (Roman Catholic) as St. Paul’s Cathedral (Anglican). The two are very different in appearance and identity. (I trust one also knows the difference between Westminster CATHEDRAL and Westminster ABBEY.)

The appalling error in the photo section aside, if you can’t find Costain’s books, then that by Jones is a splendid narrative on the subject. Honor is due Dan for the effort and research it took to write it.
on 22 March 2017
Well-written book, with good information and a lot of detail. Exciting book by an exciting guy ;) But seriously, read the book.
on 6 August 2015
This book initiated my interest in this era of history that I knew little about. Dan Jones brings to life the personalities involved and glues together what must be a complex web of motives into an engaging story which entertains and educates. I find that whenever I dip into it, I end up reading on and on and on.
on 27 January 2014
How can such a turbulent time in English history be turned into such a dull book? Every monarch was roundly criticised in a monotonous writing style. Every Henry, Edward , Geoffrey and John sounded exactly the same. Cut out the repetitive writing style and 300 pages would have been more than enough. If the author thought so little of his subject, why did he write the book? Remind me not to buy the promised sequel.
3 people found this helpful
on 20 September 2013
Everything you wanted to know about the Plantagenets in an easy readable way. Maybe not a definitive book but I couldn't put it down
on 11 August 2014
Given as a gift, so I can't comment, but why give up after Edward 111.? Should have been entitled " The early Plantagenets"
5 people found this helpful