on 24 September 2013
The thing I really like about this book is that it tells the story of the Plantagenets as a story, not as a conventional history book. It starts during the wars between Stephen and Matilda and ends with the overthrow of Richard II. It's engagingly readable and gives a true feel for what these, often awful, people were really like.

I have always been interested in history and already have a book or two which cover the period, and even one on the Plantagenets themselves. I am a regular library borrower of such books. But this is the best one I have seen. Once picked up, it really is difficult to put down.

I do hope Dan Jones gets round to covering the later Plantagenets (York and Lancaster) in another book some time. I'll buy it !
on 27 August 2016
I love history books and this one was great. I found it hard to put down and quite riveting in places. I've never read a dan Jones book before though I have watched him on TV. He's up there now in my top 3 history authors with Morris and Mortimer.
on 29 December 2014
An excellent read for those wanting a real blow by blow (oh yes!) account of this fascinating dynasty. It fills in all the missing bits you ever wondered about, especially what motivated these almost unbelievable characters, in their own terms and in context of the times. Unlike some popular historians these days, Dan Jones does not appear to have a hidden agenda, unless it is to help us better understand our own history. A good pacey style helps the digestion of so much factual stuff that's needed to dispel some of the myths and legends that have crept in, and not a word wasted. 'Horrible Histories', eat your heart out. Give this to the kids when they are old enough to understand the real stuff. Terrific.
on 16 March 2016
An earlier review says that he marked it down because it was not heavy with academic material - nonsense - Dan Jones is a very clever man and has written skilfully insomuch as this book has a rich pool of history to wallow in and at the same time it is easy on the eye, highly entertaining as a page turner - a masterpiece and I ordered Magna Carta & The Hollow Crown on the back of reading it - Thanks Dan this was a satisfying meal indeed ...
on 8 September 2014
This book was excellent. It took ages to read but the detail was wonderful. There was a small bits of conflicting information but nothing major. It is about a period of history I found it hard to learn about but now everything is much clearer. It saddens me how people's minds worked in those days and how lives were cheap and disposed off in often a heartless manner and the book illustrated this well. Family bonding seemed to be meaningless at times. I am for the first time in my life able place all the plantagenet monarchs chronologically along with their characteristics where as before I never knew who came after who. The detail was amazing.
on 28 August 2013
I am very interested in the Middle Ages but over the years have found a lot of books heavy going. Also, whilst I have read a lot on the Tudors I know very little about the Plantaganets. I bought this on a bit of a whim but I am so glad I did. It is an entertaining, extremely informative book about this period which I could not put down. In the past I have found many books too dry and hard going but this kept my interest the entire way through. Would have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone interested in this period of history. I understand that the author is currently writing a book on the Tudors which I am eagerly anticipating
on 23 May 2014
My knowledge of the period was flaky before reading this book. This filled in the gaps and made me wonder how they survived for such a long time. The book is written to appeal to the informed and novice of the period and is well worth reading. I bought the paperback first and then the Kindle as found the paperback just that bit to uncomfortable to read for a long stretch. I had hoped that the rumour of Amazon supplying a Kindle version to anyone for free after buying a paper version was true but that appeared to be just that.........a rumour.
on 17 October 2013
I have always been interested in the history of the history and lines of succession of the kings and queens of England. I never learned about this in any depth at school, so wanted to catch up now that I have time to read and digest the information.
I am now in the Plantagenate era, and am thoroughly enjoying this book. I can get confused though as there are so many Henry's, William's Matilda's etc, so have to really concentrate.
The writer Dan Jones, has writen the book in such a way that I can get to grips with it, and enjoy reading it.
Anyone who wishes to learn about this great dynasty, should consider reading this book.
on 6 January 2015
I had recently watched the TV programme Dan Jones had done, 'Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty' when I bought this, and found that the programme served as a great introduction to the book and, by extension, the book is a perfectly pitched introduction to the Plantagenets, which I will readily admit aren't my strong suit and far as British History goes.

I found this detailed enough to be more than an overview, but not so bogged down in detail that I got bored. Admittedly, some monarchs are more interesting that others, but I did not feel the need to skip chapters or skim read as the writing kept me engaged throughout.

Definitely another historian to add to my list.
on 16 December 2013
Dan Jones gives us a fast paced sweep through the brutal kingships of one dynasty stretching over three centuries.
Rather like Tom Holland he brings history to life and maintains good scholarship throughout. One is reminded that power corrupts
and despite good intentions, the amount of power concentrated in the hands of these kings inevitably caused many of them to overreach themselves and self-destruct. It is easy to see how gradually since those days we are left with a tamed monarchy which
is decorative rather than tyrannical.