Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 March 2017
I know it states that it's the diary of a wombat, but I was really hoping for it to be so much more, it's just a daily activities list of a wombat. My son absolutely loves Wombats but this book didn't capture his imagination at all, and I was bored reading it second page in. My hubby being Australian was disappointed too. Really don't recommend anyone buying it.
on 26 April 2017
Taught me everything I know about Wombats!
on 23 May 2017
Excellent service and a fantastic story.
on 27 April 2017
Recommended to me by an Aussie teacher, lovely story and beautifully illustrated.
on 13 February 2004
I found this book in Australia, and bought it there. On return to the U.S., my sons and I spent night after night reading it to each other and acting out the illustrations. The text is simple - aimed for the youngest reader - but humourous, and the illustrations are absolutely charming.
The book chronicles a week in the life of a wombat and its human "pets" - all from the wombat's point of view. Many "entries" in the diary reflect the wombat's nocturnal nature ("Monday - Morning: Slept; Afternoon: Slept...). The humour and charm stem from the animal's interaction with the world around it - battling a "welcome" mat, discovering an endless supply of carrots (the garden), tackling wet laundry on the line, communicating its desires to the humans (by bashing trash bins, chewing flower pots)...
The book's humour is comparable to "Click Clack Moo" and "Giggle Giggle Quack", but the text is easier for youngsters to read themselves. The adult readers (both in Oz and America) were delighted with the book, and several teachers requested copies. It is not available in the U.S., and I was very grateful to obtain a copy for our school library through amazon.co.uk marketplace. Also, the U.K. version contained an additional page explaining "I am a wombat, a nocturnal animal..." which is an excellent addendum to the original book.
on 24 January 2006
I found this book by chance and was overwhelmed with how cute the wombat is. This is one of those books that parents won't mind reading to their children over and over again because it is simply adorable and comic at the same time. The diary format makes this the Bridget Jones of the wombat world!
on 24 February 2006
No other way of describing it, absolutely adorable. The illustrations of the wombat are unbelievably cute, a book you can read endlessly and enjoy it more every time., Will never fail to bring a smile to your face and make you melt inside. A wombat with an attitude she may be, but also engaging, endearing and an absolute gem.
on 4 September 2010
Our family has a current passion for wombats, usually of the combat variety, so I bought this as a joke for our 11 year old's birthday. I thought my two would dismiss it out of hand as being too young for them, but it is a beautiful book, with just the right level of humour and has turned into a favourite for when they're not being serious. Our 13 year old wants the sequel for christmas!

If you have younger children, get it.
on 20 October 2013
I have the Italian version of this book - read it to my toddler two weeks ago and he has eaten at least two raw carrots a day every day since then, claiming to be a wombat (It spends a lot of time finding/asking for carrots in the book) - it's a very sweet and funny book and has much improved my son's vegetable intake ... perhaps there should be a follow-up one where it asks for other veg?!
on 27 February 2011
I'm a teacher and the children really found this book entertaining. Not only entertaining but it got them writing. They enjoyed the notion that the Wombat thought that the humans were her pets and found her antics funny. On the whole a funny, entertaining and enjoyable book.