Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 June 2017
This book like most Collins Guides are excellent in their own field. This is no exception. It describes and illustrates many trees and has a useful guide that guides you through identifying individual trees. Some terminology needs to be learned initially. That is not difficult and a beneficial part of the process of developing you skills identifying trees.
on 3 April 2017
Lovely illustrations. I think having more detailed text on seperating species would help especially for trickier ones
on 6 June 2017
very good condition great help
on 19 May 2017
Happy with this book.
on 13 May 2017
very good
on 24 December 2012
This book is by far the best tree guide I have come across. I am an arboriculture student and this book has provided me with a great reference to the thousands of species and varietes of trees both native and exotic.
on 28 July 2014
Very informative
on 11 January 2007
This is a wonderful guide, both small and comprehensive. It combines accurate and concise descriptions with beautiful illustrations of the whole tree, the leaves, the flowers and the fruit. An interesing feature: it tells you if a tree is indigenous and, if not, when it was introduced. The only downside is that it doesn't show pictorally what each tree looks like during different seasons, which can sometimes make identification tricky. Some guides show each tree in two seasons, half during one season and half during another.
33 Comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2011
Comprehensive information packed gem. The tardis of UK tree books.

I've been teaching myself about trees for several years now and this has been an invaluable little tool.

It has a very useful key at the beginning with leaf shapes and branch appearance separated and catagorised. From here it is usually very easy to find the species you are trying to identify.

I find it easier to learn botanical id from illustrations than photos as a rule. The illustrator is able to emphasise key features of difference more effectively than using arrows on a photo.

I don't take it in to the field anymore (I used to all the time), because generally I only find the odd or two trees here and there I need to ID'd. I take samples and check when I get home.

It is an ideal learning tool. Mine is full of leaf samples and covered in muck and dead insects.. exactly how a field guide should end up.

The only slight negatives are that it is still quite hefty and that I would have liked a bit more info about what uses the wood has. But that is just greedy.. and an impossibility. The book is almost overflowing with hard core info.
on 16 May 2007
I've just got into trees and this book is great. I don't normally like Collins books but this one goes everywhere with me, along with Birds of Europe by Lars Jonsson, and The Wild Flower Key by Francis Rose. Descriptions are concise and clear and illustrations are superb. If you're into trees, or like me are just getting into them, this is the field guide to have. It's a bit overwhelming at first as there's so much in it, but you soon get used to it. It's a joy to use. Hug trees? You'll hug this book.