on 10 January 2015
brilliant thanks naomi rossiter
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 May 2014
When you read this book it is as if Nora is there talking to you, love the stories and the cooking, liked her on TV as well.

Chris B-R
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 April 2006
'Nora, I know in your wildest dreams you never thought you would write a cookbook. All I wanted to say is that you deserve it and it's really great. Well done!
Love Jamie X '

'Kick your parents out of the kitchen and get cooking with Nora. She has written these fun and tasty recipes just for you, so invite your friends round for dinner, make a weekend lunch for your family, or just whip up a tray of your favourite cookies for a special treat. Get creative with pick 'n' mix recipes and make your own custom concoctions. OK, you might need a little adult help from time to time, but Nora's put you in charge!'

143 colourful, high quality pages split over 5 chapters:-
Breakfast, snacks & salads, lunch, dinner and a
cakes & puddings, sandwiched between 'Jamie's Foreword' and a concise index.
Superb information sections include:-
'kitchen tools', 'food safety', 'techniques', 'vegetables', 'herbs and spices' and 'eating sensibly' .

Basic recipes throughout, simply written with oodles of child appeal, eg boiled egg and soldiers, Nora's yummy eggy bread, caramel apple pancakes, monsterella pizza, funky burgers, the quickest tomato sauce in the world, sticky messy ribs, the best lasagne ever, sausages and mash with gravy, mum's best sunday roast with roast potatoes and green beans, choca-block, pick 'n' mix rainbow kebabs and juicy ice lollies.

Superb book with the overall emphasis being 'on learning about food basics and cooking, and having fun with the family while doing so.
Although some recipes require adult help or supervision, children will be able to follow each recipe for themselves.'
on 27 December 2007
I was abit taken aback when baking the carrot cake with my daughter...in fact even calling it carrot cake was abit rich, seeing as there was only one small carrot in the whole thing! I tried halving the amount of sugar, and tripling the carrots, (the whole point about carrot cake is that the carrots largely replace the sugar and add moistness) and it worked a treat. but thought the savoury recipes were tasty and fun.
on 11 March 2009
I like this book because it has clear instructions to make healthy meals. It is ideal for the beginner cook as well as children. We love the cauliflour cheese recipe. It encourages you to make things simply from scratch,instead of buying processed food from the supermarket.
on 11 January 2007
I bought this book as we have 3 children and I am constantly trying to find dinners that we will all enjoy as a family, so although its intended as a kids cookbook I have treated it as a cookbook with meals designed for kids. Its been fantastic, I have made 5 dinners now and all are easy to prepare and really tasty. The coriander chicken is one I know I will make over and over.

WELL DONE NORA !!!!
on 5 April 2006
As with most of us, I first saw Nora in the TV show Jamie's School Dinners, and the theme from that show of making school dinners more healthy for the nations children has been passed on to this book, but this time focusing on our own kitchen. Looking at getting kids into the kitchen and cooking for themselves it starts by giving the basic knowledge of whats what with colourful descriptions of vegetables, herbs, and cooking implements, then gets into some mouth-watering dishes that the little ones love. From a healthy and tasty stir fry to the fun and sweet ice lollies. All recipes are easy to follow for all children and great for us big kids starting out in the kitchen (and I can think of a few that need this!). Great book for inspiring kids and adults alike in the kitchen.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 May 2010
I was one of the kids in the book, furthest to the right on page 19 and in various other parts of the book. I have to admit it was quite a fun experience, even though I received no payment. However, after trying out a few of the recipes, I disowned this book. Please, please do not attempt to make the "baked macaroni cheese". It mainly consists of cream cheese and crème fraíche. And chopped ham. It looks as disgusting as it tastes. After making and consuming this monstrosity, I proceeded to vomit over the course of 4 days. I can't even look at the pictures anymore without feeling nauseous.
Don't make the same mistake as me.
Read the recipe before deciding if you want to make it.
on 7 April 2006
Wonderful simple recipes for children to be introduced into healthy eating and meal preparation. My children loved the pick 'n' mix pizza and pasta. It's a great book.