on 3 January 2018
Gripping and emotional from start to finish. Beautifully written and striking work to read. At times there was no putting the book down. The book shows true compassion and loyalty in a world that is destructive and cruel.
It is easy to see why this book is often studied at Junior Cycle level for Irish exams. Many different themes and settings are used which makes for a really interesting read.
The description and the detail that is in the book is fantastic and it is easy to imagine what life must have been like in war times. I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of 11.
on 5 November 2015
Would like my eight-year old son to wait a few more weeks till Chanukah for this one because I know it'll make a great not-too-expensive present which he'll get a lot of use out of. But I already feel a bit mean keeping it from him. He already has three Michael Morpurgo audio books which he has heard twice and we are just starting them on a third round. I felt I should buy him another and this story looks ideal. My son likes the way this writer/main character talks in the first person, like a diary. And he has been interested to find out about the historical periods against which his books are set. He has really taken to hearing the stories in the car on the way to school which makes the half-hour journey pass really fast, too fast! Although he is a very good reader of factual books he is not ready to tackle novels; I think such audio books with strong empathy for the characters are a good encouragement, it won't be long before he wants to read stories for himself. Because he repeats them several times he is already learning that you don't just necessarily approach a book once only which many children grow up assuming to be the case.
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2015
This is a novel of two halves. The first half covers the lives of the young Peaceful brothers in pre-First World War Devon (the author revealed in an afterword that there really was a family of brothers surnamed Peacefull (sic) who fought and in some cases died in the war). The second half is about the experiences of Charlie and Tommo at the front. Much of the narrative is quite matter of fact in its descriptions of what they are going through, while still giving a good feel for the hardships of serving in the trenches. The last chapter is extremely moving and tragic. A good read.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 February 2015
I bought this for my daughter as she was reading it at school and was enjoying it so much, she wanted her own copy to read in her own time. She loves Michael Morpurgo books and has read a few (and wants to read more). I can't comment on the actual story as I haven't read it but from what my daughter has said about it, its a good story set in the war which I think is great as it would be so easy to shy away from this subject for this age group and over time it would get forgotten. She was also over the moon with the price as it was so much cheaper than buying it on the high street and even in a supermarket.
on 14 August 2013
Michael Morpurgo is a phenomenal story-teller and his more recent work has seen him branch further into alternative versions of popular stories. 'Outlaw' is his re-telling of the Robin Hood story, albeit from a fresh perspective. Morpurgo unleashes a younger Robin Hood who embarks on his journey through the pain of separation from his family. The story is well-paced; uses strong characters and allows the reader to make more complex moral reasonings than traditional Robin Hood tales. Develops into a fast-paced page tuner; does justice to the legend of Robin Hood and the characters. I would have liked to have read more into the relationships between Robin and his parents at the beginning, purely because this is not tackled anywhere else (as far as I know).

For any teachers out there, I used this as a class story with a Year 5 class and it was an instant hit. Stories written on the back of it showed a well rounded understanding if complexity within characters as well as an ability to use more varied sentence structure (SPAG heaven).

An excellent telling of an English legend and should be a must for any school or home.
on 17 August 2016
This book captures the true essence of the First World War. The ordinary English fighting force: the backbone of our Country were treated abominabley. Young lads forced over 'the top' when they suffered shell shock their consequences were dire. This story tells of the divide between rich and poor and how the poor were content with their lot b4 the war. The innocence of Tommo's family is laid bare. Their hardships their appreciation of the loving rural life. A box of tissues at hand is a definite requirement when reading this book. It really is a 'must read'. It defo is a story that will stay in my memory forever. Absolutely brilliant
on 15 December 2017
I gave this book 5 stars because it is full of secret adventures. Also it includes history about the Titanic. I really liked the characters in it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes adventure stories which leads it into some sad bits. This was the first Morpurgo book I read and it is a really good one to start with.
on 29 July 2016
As always with Michael Morpurgo you have to remember his target audience is children albeit with enough substance to satisfy an adult reader. I enjoyed this book, but not as much as two others by the same author. The relationship between the brothers seemed a little forced, likewise the heroic rebellious nature of the older brother didn't convince. That said - I'd still recommend it... to children.
on 11 January 2018
the book was sad but the book was amazing.I reccomend this book to the whole planet.Next im goingto read his book called the fox and the ghost king.I cant get enough of michael mopurgo absolute legend.He should go down in history.This is the best book i've ever read in my entire life but sad for the dog in it because it has to keep swapping owners when hes grown fond of the one hes got.
on 19 January 2015
Hi, my dad brought my this book for me. I thought it looked great. They say don't judge a book by it's cover but I did and I was righ. This is a great book. I am an 11 year old girl so some might not think the same. Anyway I have just finished reading this book. the endding is a bit tragic. but it is one of the best books I have read.