• Ingo

Great book for young independent readers. 9 year old loved it
on 10 May 2015
Good read
on 30 November 2012
A lovely story about a brilliant fantasy world, for ALL ages.

I think anyone could read this and it is worth the money.

A book to treasure.

Do get it!!!
4 people found this helpful
on 13 January 2015
I'm 20 and I still love this series
One person found this helpful
on 19 January 2011
I bought this for my older daughter's 11th birthday in November and she begged me to buy the other 3 books in the series for Christmas - all are now finished and passed on to younger daughter. A magical world full of magical characters.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 June 2009
I really enjoyed reading this book and I do think it would be good value for money. I think that it is a really interesting childrens story and I recommend it to most people but mainly fantasy/adventure lovers!
on 5 October 2009
i cant really remember this book but i know it was one that was good but a little disappointing. i thought it would be a little more exciting but it was a good series start. i loved the bit where sapphire discovers ingo-well, discovers herself more like! many surprises pop up out of nowhere, for example, sudden appearences of different people. the italic writing was a bit confusing, but to help you, i think it is sapphire's thoughts. i think this book is for a wide age range, from age 8 to 14. i did not find it too easy or too hard, just right for me. it makes you desperate for the next book, with its sort of waiting theme. in short, a very good book.

by Leela age 8.
One person found this helpful
on 13 September 2011
Ok, this is a children's book, but I've always been a bit of a mermaid fan and I read some good reviews, so I thought I'd give it a go.

The plot revolves around Sapphire Trewhella who lives on the coast in Cornwall with her parents and older brother Connor. One day, Sapphire and Connor's father mysteriously disappears after taking his boat out at night. Rumours fly that that he's either been involved in an accident out at sea or he's run off with another woman. However, Sapphire and Connor refuse to believe either of these explanations and vow to keep looking for him. It soon becomes clear to them both that the sea they've lived next to all of their lives has a power they could never have imagined.

Bearing in mind that this is a children's book, I still felt that the writing was more juvenile than it should be. The plot dragged on in places, and the characters (particularly Sapphire) seemed rather annoying and whiney. The merpeople didn't come across as particularly likeable to me, either. I was also disappointed that most of the story took place on land rather than in the sea, and only two merpeople appeared in the story. However, the descriptions of the underwater world were vivid and the author obviously loves the sea. Overall, the plot was rather lacklustre and didn't really seem to go anywhere. The key question throughout the book is what happened to the children's father, yet this isn't answered, only hinted at. Evidently the author wanted to save this for a future book, but it meant that this book ended up having quite a weak plot.
on 18 August 2007
I bought this book for my seven year-old daughter, having read a couple of Dunmore's adult titles and knowing quite well the part of Cornwall in which the story is set. The book is an unmitigated joy: utterly captivating and - here is its genius - believable in a way that, say Harry Potter is not. Sapphy and Conor's entry in to the magical world of Ingo, the marine world that lies just off of the cove near their home, is told so imaginatively, yet credibly, that one cannot fail but to be drawn in to the story. The one problem with the book is that it is so gripping, is such a page-turner, that getting my daughter to put the book down and switch her light off at bedtime became even more difficult than normal.
Perhaps the strongest proof of the power of Dunmore's story-telling is that we have just returned from a Cornish holiday during which my daughter wanted to visit Zennor,try to find the cove, and see if she could find Faro and Elvira, the Mer-people, for herself. Perhaps, just perhaps, those silhouettes we could see at the foot of the rocky headland were them.....who knows! Buy this book, neither you nor your children will regret it.
25 people found this helpful