• Ingo

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 July 2016
I bought this for my ten year old grand-daughter after so much enjoying “The Siege” and “The Betrayal”. I had no notion whether Helen Dunmore’s considerable talents as an author for a more mature readership would be replicated here. In fact my grand-daughter absolutely loved it, so much so that I am now bound to obtaining more of the series. Clearly Ms. Dunmore is a very talented writer.
on 8 May 2013
Having read many of Helen Dunmore's books for adults, I was not aware she wrote children's books and was very pleased to discover this series. I am reading it with my daughter (who is nearly 9). We both really love the whole concept of the book and the story is excellent. We are looking forward to reading more of the series...
on 11 March 2016
happy daughter who enjoys these stories
on 3 July 2016
I'm 20 and I still love this series
on 3 October 2015
gr8
on 2 February 2015
I read these books when I was younger and recently found them again. I loved these books, they're the best merpeople books I've read and having found them again I'll probably end up rereading them. The books are about a girl who lives by the sea and one day meets a mer boy. He teaches her that because she has mer blood, she can breathe underwater and enter Ingo.

As a child, I spent a lot of my holidays at the beach and in the sea so these books are basically a childhood fantasy for me. The kind of books you desperately want to be real and to be a part of.

Perfect books for children and young teenagers but also for anyone else particularly if you love the sea and want to be swept away to a fictional world.
on 4 February 2016
If you are interested in mermaids and are drawn to stories about mermaids and humans interacting or the call of the sea, I urge you to read this book. Ingo opens just as Sapphy and Conor's father fails to return from a late night boat trip. In spite of the memorial service, the passing of time and everyone else's opinion, the children cling to the belief that they will find their father again. And then one morning Conor goes missing too and the stricken Sapphy gives in to the pull of the sea. Down at the cove she finds not only her brother but also Ingo, the kingdom under the sea inhabited by the mer.

This is a beautiful story, haunting and lyrical in which Helen Dunmore creates a thoroughly believable underwater world. Ingo is so tantalizingly close that I for one will never look at the sea the same way again.
on 22 August 2010
DON'T READ IT COTAINS SPOOLIERS!!!!! SKIP TO THE END FOR MY CONCLUSION

I am 14 years old (writting from my dad's account) A while back a brought INGO online on Amazon.co.uk this was when i was about 12, and i couldn't really get into the book simply because i didn't have time with my revising for my year 6 SATs... But after i got all that out of the way i found this book once again on my shelf - and read the blerb. It once again became quiet appealling and i sat and started to read the story, the basics is that a young girl called sapphire and her brother conor loose their father one night when he goes out onto the stormy wild sea after a fight with their mother. However on that night it is believed that their was in a terrible accident and their father drowned - evidence to support this so called theory is that the boat was later found smashed up inbetween the cornish caves. But no body was found. Sapphire and Conor won't accept the possiblity (and the odds) that he may be dead...
And this whole story of the 1st novel is how Sapphy and Con adventure into a magical world INGO to try and find answer but not without a little help from their two mer friends Faro, and Elvira... There is a lot more within this story and Helen Dunmores ability to add warmth to characters makes it sooo easy to be locked within the witting of these books... :)

I wont say any more just that this book is a real must read and is extremely gripping. i have given it 5 stars *****. AND HIGHEST PRAISE TO HELEN DUNMORE AND THE WHOLE SERIES IS MAGICAL AND WILL KEEP YOU ENTERTAINED, plus in 321 pages there are 24 chapters therefore these books are great if you don't like longgggggggg chapters. Great before bed!!
For all ages over +7, i really enjoyed them and would advise everyone to get all four novels in the series - and look at my review for the tide knot the 2nd novel!!!! :)