Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 June 2003
Having just read this for a female voices course in French studies, I was bowled over by its alarmingly truthful nature of how women are objectified by society.
A prior knowledge of Beauvoir's work is helpful but not entirely necessary as the themes and ideas relate to all women within Western capitalist society.The idea that women have a biological commercial value that finds them their role within the patriachy i.e. the woman must have children to have any value.
The format is shown through three short stories that have completely human protagonists; for example, in Monologue, the second in the book, which is set within the style of a stream of consciouness, the woman, Muriel, repeats "I'm fed up" eighty times which represents the brutality of her feeling deserted by the society that told her she had to be a mother to have any worth.
In conclusion, all women should read this and come to fully comprehend "la mauvaise foi", the inability to accept one's freedom when they are offered the chance.
on 27 June 2015
I have never read a book which is so brutally truthful and so accurately describes the lives of three women. Devastatingly honest and totally readable. I definitely recommend.
Usually I tend to sway compilations of shorter stories as I have found that it sometimes doesn't allow for the entire plot to unravel, however in this case all of the stories seem complete and whole.
on 13 January 2004
The Woman Destroyed is comprised of three stories but it is the third story, from which the book title is derived, which is without a doubt the most captivating. Monique is a middle-aged french woman who presents her seemingly normal, family-orientated lifestyle to the reader through a diary form. However, a short way into her diary, Monique learns that her husband is having an affair. As Monique considers the implications of her husband's infidelity, she reveals to the reader a woman who has essentially been in denial about the state of her own marriage, has no financial independance and no life outside the marital home. Monique's words can at tiems be frustrating - why can't she move on from the past? - as well as extremely self-pitying, but they always seem genuine; infact you are left wonderig how much of the story is based on de Beauvoir's personal experience.
on 5 May 2015
I had to read this book as a part of my French studies. I must say it was probably the worst book I have EVER read. Each story depicts women as weak, stupid and dependent on men. I am not a feminist but this book has sucked the life out of me. Unfortunatelly, I couldn't stop reading as my essay was based on the book but I remember vividly, I was just reading the page 238, how the fact that I had to continue reading made me cry (literally, it was 3 am and I was reading through tears). Not in a million years will I read the book again unless I want to commit suicide.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2016
Fabulous writing
on 20 September 2015
Gorgeous issue, lovely front cover, didn't take me long to get through as De Beauvoir is quite stunning with her writing
on 5 November 2014
Disappointed in the quality of paper and print. Although they did send another book when the first was lost in the post.
on 15 January 2016