Customer reviews

5,190
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 November 2016
This has been a long-delayed product, but I found it to be worth the wait. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the slipcase was and it arrived here in the U.S. undamaged, which is not always the case. I had to order this from AmazonUK because AmazonUS cancelled the product, several times. And I wasn't going to wait for them to actually get it in stock. Because frequently many of the Tolkien offerings from AmazonUK never end up here in the U.S. To me, it's well worth international shipping.

As others have mentioned, the first edition of The Hobbit is not within most folks budget and so I was quite excited to see this offered many years ago. I'm not sure I am going to actual pore over it and check to see what the differences between the first edition and subsequent ones (Rateliff's The History of the Hobbit does that). But just to look at it and page through it is worth the purchase price.

It is a wonderful addition to my bookcase!
This book is expensive, a paperback would be a fraction of the price, but it is worth every penny. I had just finished reading the Hobbit to my 9 year old and thought The Lord of the Rings would be a great follow on from that.
I like proper books, I love the feel of them and this one does not disappoint.

Notwithstanding the story, the book is a quality collectors product that should not just be looked at but read.

My only complaint is that it has heft, sitting next to my son for his bedtime story it is not a book I can hold in one hand. I have to rest it against my knees. This is a book to be handed down the generations.
Perfect.
This is written exellantly there is a lot of hype at the moment around the hobbit but I remember my father always telling me as a young child always read the hook first then watch the film I am so glad I did I now base the hobbit on j r r Tolkien not by Peter Jackson and Hollywood I really enjoyed this read not to long jot to short just right the way Tolkien builds the story up it's levels the way each character is discribed in detail I could not put it down it was completely mesmerising highly recommended.
on 23 February 2016
Wonderful sketches by a master artist. It is also the story of the artistic process of making LOTR where Lee must have had to draw lightning fast, at a moment's notice when the production team wanted to go in close on some small device or area of a room/town/world! Terrific imagination and innovation, but he shares the limelight by naming his collaborators who brought his sketches to life on the big screen.
on 7 August 2017
It was on deal, so no question asked. I just clicked 'buy' as soon as I can. I own the book in many languages and versions. This versions is a priceless addition to my collection. And the deal was a tease a student can't ignore. Arrived in sturdy books with Tolkien stamp.
on 25 July 2017
Only on chapter 2 can't put down love it so well written and got me gripped 35 year old female just decided to read and it's fab
on 20 July 2011
LOTR is one of my favourite books and I was really keen to get it on CD so I could listen to it during my daily commute. Rob Inglis has a great voice and invokes atmosphere in many places, particularly the battle scenes and some of the more active passages. However, as a bit of a skim reader, I hadn't realised quite how much detail there is in the book and some of the descriptions can be a bit tedious when read out word for word. I quite often find my mind drifting when there is so much detail.

One of the other reviews said that he wasn't very good at distinguishing voices and I have to agree. Gandalf sounds pretty similar to Aragorn, similar to Denathol and Theoden. Every now and again there is a difference, but they tend all end up sounding the same again, as I think he finds it difficult to maintain a particular voice. Pippin, Merry and Sam are also quite difficult to distinguish, although Frodo is quite clearly Frodo, as is Legolas.

You have to get past the first few chapters before you can really get into the books as he takes a bit of warming up. The first chapters sounds like he's reading a children's book to a six year old.

In the books, I tend to skip over the poetry and singing. If I wanted to read poetry, I'd get a poetry book. However, they are unavoidable on CD and some are truly awful. I appreciate the effort and he has a good singing voice, but no, it would be better without them.

Having said all that, I think this a great way of passing my commute and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the books. All credit to him for reading it. He obviously loves it himself and I think he does a very good job.
on 22 July 2017
Having already read "The Hobbit" as a necessary prelude to the magnificent "Lord of the Rings", surely one of the world's great creative works, I then found it more satisfying to read each of the saga's three volumes separately than manage them all in one collected edition. Too awkward to handle! Amazon's boxed set of four books fitted the bill nicely. About this great story, which without hesitation I consider the best book I've ever read in eighty plus years! I can only echo what American college students declared on LOR's publication "Tolkien is hobbit forming!"
on 10 May 2017
I've read this a number of times before but I always find it hard to put down. If you've only watched the films you may find some differences but be advised, however good the film is, the book is much, much, much better.
on 6 June 2013
For all the controversy over the films, it is great to pick the book up again, and read it. I haven't read it in years, but it is as fresh as when I first read it as a child. Compared to The Lord of the Rings, it is much simpler and less detailed. This is no bad thing, just different. I haven't yet seen the first Hobbit film, but it is easy to see how the story can be padded out, as much detail is left to the imagination - as it should be in good fiction. This is a book for all ages, and the perfect introduction to Tolkien.