on 31 August 2012
Essentially, this is a continuation of the original Frankenstein story, being set in modern day New Orleans, 200 years after the original.

The story follows 2 homicide detectives as they investigate a series of murders. Things are not as they seem and the partners soon discover there's something unnatural/supernatural happening.

The story flicks between the various characters, giving an insight into their motivations, weaving them together nicely by the end of the book.

The characters are well portrayed and interesting and the pace of the story builds as the tale progresses, making it difficult to put down.

While the ending resolves the murders, you are left with new questions leaving you wanting to read the second book in the series.

A thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 1 June 2016
As a fan of Koontz's work and of the classic Frankenstein tale I don't know why it took me so long to get around to this.
I believed this would be a rewrite of the original but it is much better than that. It is a sequel to the tale rather than the book, this give Koontz more scope for his own story that weaves perfectly into Shelley's imagination without being tied to details, i.e. inferring that Shelley wrote the book based on a story she had heard which turned out to be true.
This book introduces us to the monster and the man two hundred years after the original storm and the reversal of their roles, this will not disappoint and leaves you hungry for more.
on 14 April 2018
As usual it was a well written storyline by Dean Koontz. The story was interesting and quite easy to follow. It was a a bit gorey as expected but still an interesting read.
on 10 September 2009
Having waited for the last few years for this final installment with eager anticipation, I could not wait to sit down and read it. When the book arrived I noticed it seemed shorter than the previous two and that set off alarm bells...
However I understand there have been issues over the New Orleans setting and appreciate that caused delays and possible re-writes.

Book 3 feels like almost essay-like, I found it to have too much repetition of Books 1 & 2 and no real development of the story, it's an 'end'. I realised when I finished the book that somewhere in the first few chapters, I'd stopped caring about the main characters - not something I'm accustomed to when reading Dean Koontz. I hate to say it, but I just felt the whole book lacked real substance. It does feel very edited and I would not be at all surprised in Dean Koontz only wrote it because he felt he had to.

Read it if you're a fan of the series, but be prepared, it may not be all you wish(ed) for.
on 21 December 2017
Worth getting beyond the obvious as a new idea on an old classic. Some great cliffhangers to keep you guessing
on 26 July 2011
I only purchased this as I had read the first two books (which although for me weren't masterpieces, were at least moderately good page-turners). I wish I had saved my money. If Dean Koontz wasn't already an established & popular author I suspect this book would not have been published. It was poorly written, often aimless and appeared to be nothing more than padding to make the story go further without much effort or control. I found it so painful to read that I cannot part with my hard-earned money to buy the next installment. The premise of the old Dr Frankenstein in a modern world is a fantastic one, but one which Koontz seems to have approached in a lacklustre and sorry manner. Very disappointing.
on 3 July 2014
A real page turner. Having read all three of the Frankenstein books I couldn't wait to begin the next book. I just wish that the story line could continue (who knows maybe it will). Praise be for the genius of Koontz' characters - I shall be reading the saga again and again.
on 13 April 2018
Another great book by Dean Koontz can't wait to read more
on 20 March 2012
First book read on my kindle, following the reviews it seemed right up my street. It took me a while to get into the writing style as the story seemed so slow at the beggining while the scene was set, for me the over the top descriptions did nothing to help the story. Part way through things started to pick up and I thought it worthwhile carrying on but the ending was a disaster no real conclusions to anything, much like the cliffhanger ending to a weekly TV series, definately not a stand alone book and the sampler to book 2 did not inspire me. When I looked at the price of book 2 and the following books I found it hard to belive anyone would want to pay that out. I guess if you are a fan of the author then you would follow him, but not for me.
on 24 July 2014
I`m very intrigued about what's going to happen next for Michael, Carson and Frankenstein. What will happen to the new race and the old race?!! And what is that creature that disappeared into the manhole, what are it`s plans??!! I can`t wait to find out all the answers to these questions and more.......