on 14 March 2000
I like this book because the characters are so real and I can imagine being them or meeting them. I think that Mr & Mrs Beaver are really sweet. Lucy is my favorite character because she must be about my age and I imagine we could be friends.
on 7 October 2003
My daughter simply cannot put this book down! This abridged version is still captivating yet simple enough for a child to grasp in the main. Some questions remain unanswered but that is the beauty of the mystery. It makes her want to read the rest of the series. The illustrations are simply stunning! If your child is a bookworm like mine and loves art, this is the book for him/her!
on 3 July 2014
This is a beautiful book but it is an abridged version of the text which was not made clear on the website. I found this very disapointing as I was looking for the full version.
on 21 February 1999
This is an abridged version of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". Shortening it has the advantage of making it more accessible to children for whom some of the original language may be daunting, while, at the same time, retaining all the elements of the story. Specially composed music is interspersed throughout the story. This is played by the composer, Marisa Robles, on harp and flute. I have mixed feelings about the addition of background music, particularly since the range of emotion covered in the book could hardly be effectively represented by such instrumentation. However, the crucial scene in the story, when Aslan approaches the Stone Table, is brilliantly supported by the playing of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Sir Michael Hordern has, I fancy, precisely the kind of "public school" accent which C.S. Lewis may have had. His rendering is most enjoyable. However, some of the female characters were portrayed with just a hint of "pantomime dame" about them, and I felt his white witch was a little too self-controlled and restrained at times. I am unsure how this version would appeal to children. For an adult, returning nostalgically to Narnia, it was delightful.
on 12 January 2006
I love this book, I have done since I was tiny. And I love all the other unabridged audio versions - well worth the money and much more involving than the shortened or the dramatised versions.
But this one make me almost cry. Heaven knows who told Michael York to make the characters sound the way that they do, but they should feel ashamed of themselves. Tumnus is a piercingly annoying faun who inspired no sympathy in me at all - I just wished he'd shut up and get over it. Beaver sounds unattractively grubby and as if he has a sixty-a-day habit. As for Maugrim... I actually am Scottish and to hear that wolf's accent makes me rather incensed. I am sure the opening lines for Maugrim were never written as `Who's therrrrrrrrre?'!
The one good thing about this CD is the story, and that's what gets this review any stars at all. It's a shame that this is the only full-length audio version - if you want to listen to the book, you have to buy this version. But I'd suggest that, if you feel the same as me, you implore HarperCollins to get it re-recorded!
on 1 April 1999
At first i wasn't really into it, but once you get into it you can't put it down. It is really exciting and you just can't stop reading it. It was so good a read it in one day. C.s lewis is a brillaint author and i can't wait to read the other books in the series.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is arguably one of the best books ever written, for children or adults. It combines excitement, passion and poignancy with finely drawn characterisation, a breathtaking sweep of scenery, and the creation of an entirely new and plausible universe.
I enjoyed having this read to me when I was very small (though I didn't like the scary bits) and I've enjoyed reading it again, and again, and again over many years. Story, characters and scenery are painted in a very few words, but you come away with the sense that this is a very detailed book.
It continues to live powerfully in the imagination long after the last page is turned.
It's also a book that improves with age. Whether or not you see (or agree with) Lewis's underlying themes, the motion of the story at its turning point, with the death and return of Aslan, is like a tidal wave. The story takes in every kind of emotion, and is a powerful reminder of childhood -- the wonder, but also the spitefulness and bickering.
This is a 'great' book, in the sense that few books of its length are. At its publication it propelled Lewis from a role as a relatively popular amateur philosopher to celebrity status on both sides of the Atlantic. Half a century later, it is still delighting audiences young and old.
on 2 September 2014
I bought this to read to my two grand daughters aged 4 and 2. they have loved it and the pictures. it has enhanced their imagination and they have spent a few happy hours in my spare wardrobe re-enacting the story. I also enjoyed reading it again.
on 31 December 2001
I loved the Narnia series as a child and couldn't wait to introduce it to my 5 yr old daughter. This abridged version is perfect for younger children . It is beautifully illustrated and the accompanying tape really brings the story to life. We listen to it over and over again.
VINE VOICEon 4 August 2004
This is either the first (published) book in the Narnia series, or the second (chronologically), but order is not important when reading this excellent book.
This is an Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass type of fairy tale adventure story for all ages, as told by a favorite Sunday school teacher with a strict biblical syllabus.
Four children find an unusual way into Narnia, now under the witch's icy spell, and their experiences pave the way for the future of this magical country.
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again."
Chock full of mythical creatures and talking animals, the story progresses at an exciting gallop. Even Father Christmas puts in an appearance with some very useful gifts for our heroes.
The Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve experience compassion, bravery, generosity, greed and betrayal, sacrifice, martyrdom, suffering and redemption on their way to maturity before ascending to their rightful places in Narnian history.
The ressurection and later miracles by the great and powerful King Aslan, the significance of the stone table and the great battle between good and evil are powerful symbols of faith.
Read it first,read it last, but certainly read this book.
Amanda Richards August 2, 2004