on 7 December 2011
I reckon it's pertinent that my favourite watercolour instructional book is by far the smallest. In this tiny tome Hazel Soan imparts more information and creates more inspiration than any other book on watercolour I've read. Perhaps this is because by giving herself the limitations of size and time that she has, Hazel cuts through the mass of mystery watercolour is shrouded in to reveal how to make fresh, interesting paintings with relative ease & finesse. I have a tendency to make little progress in things because I imagine them to be more complicated than they really are, whenever I'm feeling like that about watercolour painting, I reach for this book. Because it really can go anywhere with you, you can find yourself enjoying that inspiration at times when your other books are sitting on the shelf, so when you have ten minutes spare you're filled with ideas & ready to paint. Especially useful for taking with you on sketching trips, where you might find yourself staring at a daunting subject and asking 'what would Hazel do'? At which point she'll show you the way. Does the size make it hard to read? You'd think so, but no it doesn't, each page keeps it's points brief and the illustrations are very clear. And that's from someone with awful eyesight. Now can we have a DVD to go with it please?
11 Comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2013
A tiny book packed with brilliant ideas and tips. I am amazed at its size but it is a great book. Easy to carry it around. Worth the five stars and would recommend it to anyone interested in water colour painting.
This is perhaps the most useful little book a lapsed amateur artist like me could hope to own!! I ordered this - together with it's companion in the Little Gem series, Sketching, and some new artist materials - right here on Amazon. Now, even though I hadn't picked up a brush since my sixth-form days (more years ago than I'm going to admit to!!), I'm really fired up and revelling in this "found-again" hobby. Hazel makes it all sound so simple, and although I'm finding it isn't, practice yields results and what better excuse to while away some time on a bistro terrace watching the world go by, or walking in the countryside, than seeking something inspiring to sketch? Hazel has certainly encouraged me to enjoy many a happy leisure hour honing my technique with the help of her clear advice, and - crucially - given me the confidence to believe that even I can do it. For that, I shall always be grateful to her!!
on 27 June 2017
This is a great book for beginners and for more experienced painters. It contains a lot of useful advice and tips.
The book arrived very quickly and is in perfect condition. The seller also followed this up to ensure I was happy with my purchase, which I am and would recommend them to others purchasing books.
on 21 April 2017
Excellent little book to keep with your palette to take with you when painting outside.
on 1 July 2017
A nice little book which had been recommended to me. It has some great hints and tips for the water colour artist not just for a beginner like myself.
on 28 July 2017
Well, I ordered this one twice, It is helpful.
on 7 March 2017
Book purchase for my mum as a Christmas gift
on 9 August 2017