on 7 December 2011
I reckon it's pertinent that my favourite watercolour instructional book is by far the smallest. In this tiny tome Hazel Soan imparts more information and creates more inspiration than any other book on watercolour I've read. Perhaps this is because by giving herself the limitations of size and time that she has, Hazel cuts through the mass of mystery watercolour is shrouded in to reveal how to make fresh, interesting paintings with relative ease & finesse. I have a tendency to make little progress in things because I imagine them to be more complicated than they really are, whenever I'm feeling like that about watercolour painting, I reach for this book. Because it really can go anywhere with you, you can find yourself enjoying that inspiration at times when your other books are sitting on the shelf, so when you have ten minutes spare you're filled with ideas & ready to paint. Especially useful for taking with you on sketching trips, where you might find yourself staring at a daunting subject and asking 'what would Hazel do'? At which point she'll show you the way. Does the size make it hard to read? You'd think so, but no it doesn't, each page keeps it's points brief and the illustrations are very clear. And that's from someone with awful eyesight. Now can we have a DVD to go with it please?
94 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 August 2014
This is perhaps the most useful little book a lapsed amateur artist like me could hope to own!! I ordered this - together with it's companion in the Little Gem series, Sketching, and some new artist materials - right here on Amazon. Now, even though I hadn't picked up a brush since my sixth-form days (more years ago than I'm going to admit to!!), I'm really fired up and revelling in this "found-again" hobby. Hazel makes it all sound so simple, and although I'm finding it isn't, practice yields results and what better excuse to while away some time on a bistro terrace watching the world go by, or walking in the countryside, than seeking something inspiring to sketch? Hazel has certainly encouraged me to enjoy many a happy leisure hour honing my technique with the help of her clear advice, and - crucially - given me the confidence to believe that even I can do it. For that, I shall always be grateful to her!!
8 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2013
A tiny book packed with brilliant ideas and tips. I am amazed at its size but it is a great book. Easy to carry it around. Worth the five stars and would recommend it to anyone interested in water colour painting.
25 people found this helpful
on 12 February 2017
Content is excellent, informative and inspiring. Lots of tips and techniques to try with lovely illustrations. The problem for me is, this book is just too tiny. Pocket size would have been ok but this is even smaller. I find it tiring to read text at this size, but the main issue is that the illustrations are too small to show the detail, which is what you need to see, as they show different types of brushwork etc. If they brought out this book in a larger size I would buy it straight away. As it stands, I can't see myself persevering with it as it's just too small and fiddly.
on 27 June 2017
This is a great book for beginners and for more experienced painters. It contains a lot of useful advice and tips.
The book arrived very quickly and is in perfect condition. The seller also followed this up to ensure I was happy with my purchase, which I am and would recommend them to others purchasing books.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 March 2014
Gem by name and gem by nature, I love this little book. Its designed for the impatient and the beginner, who wants to try watercolours but doesn't have hours to devote to it. From the basics of equipment to the primary colours, what to mix to get what shade and with plenty of tips on brush technique and "How to" guides for a range of paint effects (wet in wet, dry brush, adding colours, washes etc) this really covers a great deal in a small space of time. The final section gives lots of examples and ideas for specific topics (movement, landscape etc). Its likely not the only watercolour book you'd need but its a great start and would be a handy pocket guide to take around for reference. Given the small size the print is pretty clear, though small.
on 14 April 2013
It was a bit of a shock when this book arrived. It is very small (approx 8x12cm). However, it is ideal to carry with you, while painting out of doors. The content is very good.
16 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2014
Very pocketable little book. Hazel Soan said she wanted to "provide inspiration for people who feel they they have no time to paint."
Lots of good advice on paper, brushes, paints, pallettes and materials needed for quick watercolours. Information on pigments, colour, tone, painting techniques - wet in wet, wet beside wet, wet on dry, dry bush, wax resist, spatter, fanning. Techniques for speed. Composition, proportion and painting people. Places - landscape , skies, water, clouds, distances, mountains and cities. Animals - birds, horses, cats., giraffes, etc.
As it says a little gem for the price.
on 13 September 2017
I was surprised the book was so small, but saying that its very informative, and nicely illustrated. Lovely colours and is pleasing to look at.
on 9 October 2017
I bought this as a fellow artist in my group says it’s fab and it is. If you want to do some quick watercolour paintings and learn different subjects then this is ideal.