Customer reviews

The Kitchen Diaries
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 July 2015
Speaking from a 40 year single foodie perspective, bit of a staple amongst the cookbooks now after having tried a few recipes over year or so. Some clear golden nuggets here: salmon curry with tamarind, egg curry, pork oyster sauce stir fry...summer lights and winter warmers. I can't fault this.
on 23 November 2013
Well, it's not cheffy, it doesn't rely on rarefied ingredients, the dishes are not hard to achieve and the illustrations are not glossilly unreal. Another fabulous affirmation from Nigel of the attainable but heightened joy to be got from wholesome food (and words) sensitively put together.
on 20 October 2005
A great book, lovely to handle and as usual Nigel'writing is a pleasure to read and makes me want to get cooking. But am I missing something in not appreciating the photos? There are no titles and it is hard to tell sometimes what they are portraying. I had a problem trying to match them with the recipes. The photos are dark and gloomy - was that fish or was it chicken? - and I am wondering if my copy is faulty as all your other reviews rave over these photos. Anyone else feel like me? 5 Stars for Nigel - nul points for photos. Catherine.
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2013
I bought this for my mum for mothers day, ISPs is such a lovely looking cookbook, she loves it. What I love about Nigel Slater is the fact he is really un pretentious, and his books are the same, taking ingredients you would already have in your fridge and turning them into real treats!
on 4 February 2014
This was a present for my wife who enjoys cooking but who has never used a nigel
slater book. We have tried out a few of his ideas which have hit the spot.
The only thing which would improve the book would be some ideas for dinner party menus
which are balanced and tasty.
on 10 August 2013
Purchased for best friend for her 60th birthday along with other items. We both love Nigel's recipes. The book is well presented and has some fantastic recipes in it with good colour illustrations. No nonsense cooking without all that pretentious messing around. Would highly recommend.
on 17 February 2013
I bought this because I like Nigel Slaters first Kitchen Diaries. The new book has a slightly different approach but is just as good. I enjoy reading it as a diary and also using it as a cookery book. Brilliant recipes and as always Nigel has an innovative approach and is inspirational
on 23 January 2013
This was purchased as a Christmas present for a married daughter with a young family who is hoping to put Nigel Slater's thinking into her own cooking to make life easier. She was delighted to receive it. I have yet to taste anything that she has made with Nigel Slater's influence.
on 21 February 2014
But it's a great resource to dip in and out of to get ideas. I don't like Nigel Slater's sanctimonious antagonism to tesco's and the like (some of us don't have a neighbourhood farmer's market or greengrocer to depend on!) but he knows food and he gives some great ideas in this one!
on 29 May 2012
This is Nigel Slater at his best, talking about how and why he prepares his dishes throughout the year. The book acts as a great inspiration for seasonal eating, all the dishes I have cooked from the book have been great...a good read for foodies who enjoy the finer things in life.