on 27 January 2007
This book was a life saver in our home. My daughter is on a gluten, casein and sugar free diet and I am on an anti-Candida diet. Until this book we ate free from meals poorly adapted from the originals that we were not allowed to eat. The Cooking Without Made Easy gave us instant, simple dishes, that taste great, do not require expensive or delicatessen ingridients. Also for shopping outside UK, for international readers, this is very easy to follow. What I also like about the book is that every time there is an ingredient that one might be allergic to it is considered optional or an is alternative provided. There is a variety for vegetarian meals, and a very good selection of meat meals.

Among all the books I have purshased in the last two years, this is the best ever and almost every page is marked with a favourite tick. Highly recommended!
33 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2006
This book really was more than a cook book to me; it was an inspiration especially when I read the introduction. I have now vowed to change my diet, using the 'Cooking Without' recommendations and recipes, to improve my life and it really has made a difference. 'Cooking without made easy' is a fantastic book to complete the trilogy of the 'Cooking Without' series, all of which are an asset to any kitchen. The fact that those with or without a specific diet to adhere to can enjoy the recipes is a credit to the book, as all recipes are tasty with simple to follow instructions. The desserts, cakes and biscuits are so delicious that I have surprised many a guest to my house when I tell them that there is no sugar or milk in the ingredients! Hopefully this book and the trilogy will change others lives as it has changed mine. I have recommended this book and others in the series to many friends and family and highly recommend it to you.
on 3 November 2005
I've spent the past four weeks scouring supermarket labels and health food stores for something to eat (I'm meant to be avoiding wheat, dairy and sugar)- I'm fed up with houmous and oat cakes! Most of the books I've read include recipes requiring masses of weird-sounding ingredients and complicated instructions. This book really does keep it simple, with many recipes requiring no more than six or eight ingredients. It covers the whole range of meal types, from soup and dips through snacks and main courses, to desserts and cakes (difficult to find when you're avoiding added sugar).
Sadly there's no bread recipe, which is the thing I most want to find (bought bread substitutes and baking mixes are expensive and horrible). I could have done without the first 26 pages of personal testimonies and stuff about 'uncovering your life path',which I lost patience with quite quickly - I was really only interested in the food!
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2006
This book was a real "life saver" for me when my husband was diagnosed with candida problem (which we had never heard of) and was put on yeast, dairy & sugar free diet. To start with some of the receipies were out as they contained tomatoes, which were on the band list but the book gave me ideas and pointed me in the right direction and the suggested alternative ingrediants were very useful. He is now a lot better but we still use the receipies - they are all quick and easy and never fail to taste wonderful. Two friends have recently been diagnosed with wheat, glutten & dairy allergies and I have bought them copies of this book which has become their bible! If you love bread (like my husband)but can't have yeast try soda bread!
on 22 September 2008
"Cooking without made easy" arrived just in time for me to hand it to our daughter for her to cook our Ruby Wedding anniversary cake for the small family celebration we were having. She baked the rhubarb and vanilla cake, and instead of icing it she covered it with pink rose-petals. It looked good, and tasted delicious! In fact all the family enjoyed it, and now our granddaughter age 9 is looking forward to trying other recipes for me.

Until I bought this book, our family and friends would ask me to bring food for myself to any celebrations, as I am allergic to wheat and sugar (painful blisters on my lips)while milk products only set off an upset tummy and mild eczema. At last, people can make make me a treat which they can enjoy cooking and eating too. So far I have not needed to use the book myself, but am sure I could use several of the recipes in spite of my ill health, low energy and lack of culinary skills.
on 7 September 2009
The book opens with some insight into the journeys the author and some of her clients have been on in their search for better health and well being.This is quite interesting and could offer guidance on a more holistic level. The recipes are given in imperial and metric. Ingredients are listed in order of use and there is no special equipment needed beyond the usual kitchen stuff. There are however some specialist ingredients most of which can be found either at local supermarkets or health food stores. The list of suppliers at the back is useful as are the rescourses.I personally would have liked a few more pictures of the finished dishes, however I appreciate that this would put the price up, which incidentally I think is very good. I have made a few recipes and they have all been very tasty and easy to accomplish. I am not following this way of eating to the letter yet however i am working towards the necessary changes.Hope this is useful and happy cooking.
on 5 October 2012
Mistakenly thought I could use this to help my change to a primal diet - no way. Lots of non-primal content and although much of that could be swapped out, much cannot be. Lots of corn, rice and fruit juice. That combined with somewhat unexciting recipes, preceded by lots of ideological stuff about guiding your soul etc, means this was a completely wasted purchase for me.
A content page preview would have helped me know this before buying, but there was none available.
on 6 November 2010
The back of the book says that it includes recipes to suit an anti-candida diet, but she replaces the sugar with fruit, which those on an anti-candida diet cannot have. I'm sure its a great book for diabetics, coeliacs and others who wish to exclude sugar from their diet, but its useless for candida sufferers. That was the reason I bought the book, so it's catching dust now.
on 12 October 2005
If you are on an anti Candida diet there is not much for you in this book as a big majority of the recipes contain foods you should avoid. However, if you are NOT on the anti candida diet, you might find it useful.
on 4 June 2010
I've had a dairy intolerance for years and developed a wheat intolerance earlier this year. A friend gave me this book and it's just fantastic! There are loads of delicious recipes that are quick and easy to make. Some of the ingredients need to be bought from a specialist shop but if you have intolerances you'll be going to those shops anyway. It was so nice to see that intolerances do not mean a restricted and boring diet. With Indian, Thai, Moroccan and European dishes to choose from you won't get bored with food any time soon. I highly reccommend this gem of a cook book.