on 26 March 2017
But very good if you just take a few of the suggestions on board.
on 22 December 2014
Sears. The masters...the only baby/child books to swear by. Yet to read it all but dipping in so far... All makes sense, as usual. Thanks Sears:)
on 29 May 2009
Having found Sears' The Baby Book extremely useful in preparing for my first baby, I ordered the Good Behaviour Book hoping for more of his child-centred advice. I haven't put into practice any of the advice (still have 2 months of pregnancy to go!) but certainly what he writes is eye-opening and seems like it will be very useful in how to deal with a child, through their tantrums, their 'defiance' phase etc. He does emphasise how much effort and time parents need to put into parenting especially in the first couple of years of a kid's life so anybody looking for easy fixes won't find them here! Indeed, Sears continues with his promotion of attachment parenting and describes how it has been shown to be a very effective way of bringing about good behaviour. One final point, is that the book is written in a very down-to-earth way: there are no 'holier than thou' passages and Sears readily admits that he made similar mistakes to the ones he describes in bringing up his children with his wife. At this stage (preparing for a baby) I really value the book as a preparation for at least understanding how young children think and behave.
on 1 May 2006
This book is a wonderful help for anyone who is trying to raise their child gently but firmly, in an attachment parenting way. I loved it, it made me reevaluate a whole host of things and also helped me to grieve my own upbringing. Can't recommend it more highly!
on 31 January 2008
This is a brilliant book. Up till now I used to describe my child as difficult and was trying to find quick solutions for problems. But this book helps you understand what goes in the little mind and what the reasons are for his behaviour. That made me look at him not as difficult but as a little being that needs help learning to express himself. I can tell you I haven't even finished the book yet but it already pays off in my son's behaviour. Some ideas like sleeping together are not for me but the general message of understanding and loving really does help with discipline. Highly recommended for every lost parent.
on 10 December 2015
would only recommend if you're a fan of baby wearing, organic feeding co sleeping parenting.
on 27 August 2015
Never received this product...although paid for it and can review it on my profile...
on 8 February 2015
I have found this book to be very useful, especially the age appropriate advice.
on 23 February 2008
I was very disappointed with this book. It's difficult to read, it is not a book you can dip in and out of if you need help with a particular area. There are too many sub sections and it is very difficult to follow (keeps referring back to previous chapters which you then have to re-read to refresh your memory!)
Although I agree with certain methods in attachment parenting (some I don't and that doesn't mean I don't love and understand my child for all you Sears fans out there), I found the book condesending. Parents know how deeply we love our children and that how we discipline them is hugely important, but do we really need the guilt trip?
All in all, sounds great but is it really practical? When you have a screaming toddler under your arm as you carry him out of the supermarket, I think not! Try Christopher Green instead, much better read and offers sound and practical advice.
33 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2016
It adresses specific situations very concrete.