Customer reviews

Lord Loss (Book One of The Demonata)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 May 2017
Great read, thoroughly recommend for children and young adults looking for an easy-to-read page turner
on 24 May 2017
Another great book
on 30 July 2016
not exactly the same as my original copy still a great book thanks
on 26 September 2016
The picture shows the old version of the book but what I got was the new version. So it's misleading and abit disappointed
on 28 September 2017
I really love these books read a few off them paperback and love the way these story's are would recommend to anyone who like these sorts off books
on 9 March 2013
Darren shan had a very hard job writhing a book after the darren shan saga. The book had a lot to live up to. And yet he not only has managed to create a book to match his previous, but has shattered any doubts that it couldn't be as good as the darren shan saga. Without giving away too many spoilers, the book kicks off straight away when Grubbs graddy , a teenage boy finds his parents brutally murdered by demons. He moves with his uncle to find out why they died.
As a 15 year old boy, I thoroughly enjoyed this book of twists and turns. It is a little more scary/intense than darren Shans previous series. It brings a new sense to his books but with that classic darren shan touch. I honestly wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book but once I started reading I couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed the darren shan saga . It will not disappoint you
on 24 April 2014
I like pie because it is a very tasty food and so if you haven't try tried it yet I fell sorry
on 8 August 2017
2.5/5. Generously rounded up to 3.

Lord Loss is my first jump in my adult years into YA "horror", in a somewhat erratic attempt to widen my reading pool. Honestly, this one felt like more of a miss than anything, and doesn't really persuade me that horror can actually work for such an audience beyond that half baked R.L Stine fodder we all read as kids years ago.

Ignoring the lack of any real terror or scares, Lord Loss's main problem is the plot is very inconsistently mashed together. The book is barely much more than the standard novella size, yet somehow feels immensely ploddy for the entirety of the middle build before finally getting to the crisis point which pushes the book into the final act, and the confrontation with the titular monster. The problem of which I'll come back to.

Grubbs isn't the worst YA protagonist I've seen in a novel, but his indifferent and emotionally stilted characteristics make him rather hard to affiliate with. Though the book was crying out for a maturation type plot after Act I, Shan mainly concerns himself with Grubbs' physical progress in the world, and simply tells the reader of his emotional state with a few sentences after being in an asylum after the horrendous things he witnessed in Act I, which is more ridiculous than a missed opportunity, but is further made worse when he tries to slip in the internal changes toward the end of the novel. It's too little too late at that point.

As for the overall plot... as said before, Act II is a lot of shoe leather, that otherwise bogs down a pretty good sleight of hand at the end of it. But a pressing issue I have is with the final "battle". Without spoiling anything, the battle revolves around a certain game most people are at least familiar with. The problem with using such a device is that you either have to go into in mechanical detail about it, so the people who understand it can really get on board, or you merely leave out the detail and make the battle revolve around other aspects outside the technical tedium of the game in question. Shan seems to meet the reader half way with this, and it doesn't pay off. And the ploy with which Grubbs overcomes it all is pretty hackneyed, and quite unbelievable, given his opponent.

Also worthy of note is Shan's writing style. For the most part perfectly acceptable for YA fiction. But at times he uses jarring staccato sentences, to cheaply add the impression of immediacy. If you're going to write like Lee Child or Ellroy.. you've got to do it all the way through, otherwise it just falls flat, especially when the rest of your passages dwell in the excessive use of adjectives and split infinitives.
on 5 June 2005
I am a fifteen year old girl who loves horror and everything in the genre.I've in fact read ALL of the vampire series by the same author so was expecting the same sort of style of writing and was quite surprised when reading this how GORY it was. If you've read the other books of Darren Shan you won't be surprised to know this book is still based around a boy and the creepy events in his life but this story is so different it can't really be compared! Another thing I founf was how some characters are very creepy even from small descriptions.Some scenes,well actually ONE in particular is NOT suitable for those who get scared easily,so this book is not recommended for children's bedtime reading unless nightmares are your thing! I really can't talk about the storyline itself as everything that could be said could spoil the story though it is a VERY good book and I'm very annoyed I finished it so soon as now I have to wait for the others in this set to be published!
on 12 July 2012
I was introduced to this book by my teenage daughter, With it being of a young adult type book I wasn't expecting to like it all that much, but I was wrong.
The book is well paced and keeps you turning the pages (as a good book should)
BE WARNED it is GORY and very descriptive, positively brimming with headless bodies, severed limbs and guts everywhere, But if you like your horror books don't forget to include this one, you will be back on amazon in no time buying the others in the Demonata series.