on 29 December 2008
The Collins English Dictionary used to be the best English dictionary you could buy - but not any longer. It was the favourite among editors and writers because it not only had the usual words but also included names of famous people through history and names of geographical places. After about 2000, the new editions lost the names of people and it became just another dictionary, no longer differentiated from all the others. I, and my colleagues, used to buy each new edition as it came out but now I still use my Millenium Edition and haven't bought another since then. I'm waiting for Collins to realise their mistake and bring out a new edition with the names again included - when they realise that they threw away an excellent business model to save the cost of the extra pages. Now you know why you have been seeing the Collins English Dictionary being sold at half price or less everywhere in recent years. Come on Collins, get your act together and give us back the excellent encyclopaedic dictionary that we once knew and loved so well!
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2007
This is the best English dictionary one can buy for complex and obscure words and always has those rare and obsolete words one finds in Victorian novels that seem, so often, to escape the Oxford. I do the : 'Guardian;' 'Times;' and 'Telegraph;' Crosswords and will nearly always find words in this Dictionary that unfortunately, again, escape the Oxford. New editions assimilate much of modern language so that one has a contemporaneous and historical literary blend that will satisfy most requirements from the most basic, common reader to the specialist, esoteric academic.
on 18 January 2006
I want old and modern words in my dictionary and that is why this hits the spot. Should 'chav' be in here? Why not. This is a dictionary for the Blackberry and i-pod market, and should include the words we all use.
on 1 August 2014
Big and heavy, but great for serious lexicon lovers!