on 25 July 2017
Excellent book. Nice story line, well written. Not too over complicated with lots of witty humour thrown in!
on 26 April 2017
Quick delivery and good quality
on 28 November 2016
Title: Boy Meets Boy

Author: David Levithan

Genre: YA, LGBTQ+ and Drag Queen, Contemporary, Romance (M/M)

A few starting notes:

This was on 'My Contemporary YA TBR.' I honestly can't remember why I put it on there, or how I heard about it in the first place. But there you have it! ;)

Anyhow, I decided to give this and shot and hope for the best. Which I did. And I really enjoyed it!

Premise:

It's a variation on an old theme; boy meets boy, boy falls in love... etc.

Paul might have a shot with Noah. But everything seems determined to get in the way.

Between friend-drama and ex-boyfriends, will Paul get his man?

Best bits:

'Boy Meets Boy' is like a rom-com in book form. Only without the things I hate about rom-coms, and with the things that I actually like about rom-coms.

This is sweet without being too smushy, quirky without being over the top. And it made me smile. A lot.

The 'minor characters' are complex.

COMPLEX CHARACTERS ALL THE WAY THROUGH. WOOOO!!! (Sorry, I'll calm down.)

I adore Infinite Darlene - the school's quarterback and Homecoming Queen.

(A quarterback is like the star? Right? Like a top striker in football (soccer)? Hope I've got that right. I also assume that a Homecoming Queen is of some importance? Going by what I've gathered from American TV, that is.)

Darlene is witty, bouncy, and takes no b**lsh**. Therefore, she rocks and should've been given more page-time (like screen-time, only, y'know, on pages...)

And the icky-sticky 'please let this work; what if it doesn't work?' -ness of the plot is fab.

A simple plot executed with real feeling, and no insta-love - what more can I ask for, really?

A special mention has to be made of the wacky, quirky, and wonderful town - so well-developed, and with so much random and fun detail in throw-away comments. :)

Not so great bits:

More Infinite Darlene, PLEASE!!!!!!

Right, now that we've got that dealt with, down to business:

There's some swearing (including one use of 'f****t,') and the vaguest of vague references to sex.

Doesn't bother me at all, but some people dislike such accoutrements (I'm in such a random mood today... sorry.)

In terms of issues which are potentially distressing, we've got: some homophobia from family members, friendship issues, and relationship issues (including obsessiveness in places.)

My main issue - and this really is nit-picking, but it so bugged me - is I kept changing my mind over whether to pronounce 'Joni' like Johnny or like Joanie. It's probably meant to be something else entirely.

I also felt like there was an undertone of 'everyone has to be paired off to be happy' in some places. Which is irritating and untrue.

Verdict:

This book was fun, fresh, and well-worth the read.

I enjoyed its quirkiness, and the characters were complex and largely likeable.

And Infinite Darlene rules. :)

Review originally posted on Diary of a Reading Addict
on 6 November 2013
Paul is gay. He has been open and honest about it his whole life, and is fortunate enough to live in a community where people of all sexual orientations are accepted. He's had relationships before, but this time it's different. Falling in love changes everything...

I loved this book. I know I am going to fawn all over it and probably appear really annoyingly overkeen, but I can't help it. There aren't enough books out there that encapsulate how it truly feels to fall in love for the first time-that acute pain, the overwhelming longing, the desire to please. There certainly aren't enough books out there aimed at a YA audience which deal with being gay as beautifully as Boy Meets Boy does. David Levithan is going to become a cult author with teens if this is anything to go by. A lesson in acceptance and being true to yourself, Boy meets Boy is a school drama about friendship and love. It is heartfelt and touching, and beautifully portrays the developments in the relationship between Paul and Noah.

It does come across as idealistic, when in our world there is (unfortunately) still not the level of acceptance of diversity that there is in this book. But for anyone out there who believes a same sex relationship is incapable of igniting the same feelings as a heterosexual relationship I recommend they read this book, then they'll understand that isn't the case.

Finally, if you are an adult, don't be put off because this is marketed for teens. It has potential to be a crossover hit too.

Wonderful.
on 20 February 2006
I'm a girl and i thought this book was FANTASTIC!!!! My friend reccomended it and I loved it! I loved the fact that in the book everyone got on and accepted who people were, be they gay, straight or bisexual e.t.c! The characters were fantastic! Each with their own different quirks! It also shows the complications of relationships from the perspective of being gay, one which is not often shown. I have a gay friend and he said he could relate well to the main character
A brilliant book! Deffinate buy!
on 13 November 2003
This book made me want to fall in love, pure and simple. The writing style is elegant and witty, and the overall story is very touching. Boy Meets Boy has an fascinating array of background characters, all set in a fantastically liberal (and unfortunately non-existent) American high school, and is entirely unlike any other book I've read - and it doesn't try to ram 'issues' down your throat. Highly recommended, particularly (although by no means exclusively) to gay males with a romantic disposition...
on 5 May 2006
I was asked about this book in my Livejournal, and instead of typing out about plot and character, I'll copy my ramble over to here. I think it should give people a pretty good idea of what they're getting into.

Boy meets Boy by David Levithan.

I'm tempted to type out another bit of text, just so show how fantastic the book is. My favourite passage? From the first few pages, and the moment I fell in love with the book:

"But a part of me still fell in hope with him. I want a fair world. And in a fair world, Tony would shine. I could tell him this, but he wouldn't except it. He would just leave it on the island instead of folding it up and keeping it with him, just to know it was there."

Then, a little further on "When he says "I like it here", I don't want there to be a sad undertone. I want to be able to say So stay"

I love this book. Reading it is like...a comfort act. Some people read the bible for comfort, and I've really never understood that though I know I shouldn't been comparing some teen coming-out romance book to the bible, but even a few sentences from this book had an affect on me. In the worst of time, it makes me weep, and in the best it gives me hope. It is my dream book. I wish I lived in that town, in that version of the world, went to that school, knew those people.

I started reading it again two days ago, and this time around it means so much more. Everything in it is so...beautiful. The book feels fragile, and every time a dramatic event occurs I can't stop reading for fear that if I don't get past it, it will crumble in my hands. I read the first 5 pages two days ago. I couldn't read anymore, because reading it is like a constant reminder of how the world *shoud* be, but isn't. Last night I read more, I began to get into the meat of the story and more and more I kept thinking "Yes, exactly, I know that feeling." And they're the happy feelings. *Those* moments, that are undefinable, the little smile and blush at an off-hand comment that for some reason has you walking on air. The excitement, the rush, and the feeling that one day because of all this maybe things will be better than you could imagine in ways you can't even begin to understand yet.

So...that's my personal view on the book. I really think everyone should read it. Completely beautiful.
Paul's a sophomore at a high school in a small town where homosexuality is completely accepted by all except the most religious (including the ultra religious parents on his gay best friend Tony) and the captain of the football team is also the homecoming queen known as Infinite Darlene.

When Paul meets Noah, he knows that he's in love. But Paul's life isn't simple. His best friend, Jodi, is dating the piggish Chuck who's got a grudge against Infinite Darlene. Paul's ex-boyfriend, Kyle, stalks and bad-mouths him, convinced that Paul tricked him into a relationship. Guilty at how their relationship ended and knowing that Kyle is confused about his sexuality, Paul's attempts to help lead to him losing Noah. To win back Noah, Paul must regain his trust but doing so will involve Paul wooing him all over again ...

David Levithan's YA novel is a sweet LGBT romance but while I liked the fact that it's set in a LGBT utopia, the plot is paper thin, key plot lines don't get resolved and the re-wooing of Noah is sadly skipped over given that it's supposed to be a main strand of the book.

The big problem is that the main characters of Paul and Noah are pretty bland. Paul's led a largely charmed life until he meets Noah, while Noah has trust issues following a bad break up in a previous relationship. Although their romance is sweetly depicted, the re-wooing is dealt with main in exposition during the last few pages when it should be a main plot strange.

There was potential in the argument between Paul and Jodi, his oldest friend who's completely absorbed with Chuck but Levithan fails to explore it and the resolution is poorly handled while Tony's problems with his parents felt superficial and has nothing new to say on a very difficult subject that's real to many LGBT teens.

Infinite Darlene was the only vibrant character in the book, with her brash confidence and common sense and I missed her when she wasn't on the page. As an aside, there are no notable female characters in this book, which I found a shame for a story that's supposed to be in a utopia of equality and acceptance.

All in all, it's not a bad book and while I did feel it was a wasted opportunity, I'd be interested in reading Levithan's other work.

Free review copy from publisher.
on 26 April 2015
Boy Meets Boy is about Paul, an average high school student who has boy problems, friend problems - every usual kind of teenage problem apart from his sexuality. That was never in question since Paul is openly gay and everyone around him is okay with that. The book also follows several other characters, within the same friendship group, who each have their own story lines and problems.

Boy Meets Boy simultaniously entertained and disappointed me. I liked Paul - the main character. I liked how most of the characters were so openly LGBTQ* and it wasn't something that needed explaining or justifying, as some books do. Most of the story involved a love triangle of sorts and I didn't enjoy that. I could see the main drama coming and when it happened, I had no sympathy for the main character and found myself disconnecting from him. Another aspect I had a big from with was that I felt as though there were so many characters with their own issues, it was hard to connect to any of them. The book would have been much better if it had focused on fleshing out one or two of the characters, rather than kind of half creating so many and not giving them much depth.

I did enjoy reading the book and the romance aspects were swoon-worthy, but the characters were underdeveloped and the story line was kind of basic. The book was quite short and it is a good addition to LGBTQ* literature, but I wouldn't re-read this book.
on 26 July 2006
I've seen other people say that this book is "beautiful", which is absolutely the right word. I thought this book was strange and wonderful. If people say they don't like it because it's not realistic, then fine, but I don't think it's MEANT to be realistic.

It's about Paul, a gay teenager, and his life, friends and loves. However it is far from a cliched gay teen novel. At the start of the book, he meets Noah, who entrances him. And really from there on in it follows Paul and how he deals with his varied and extrovert group of friends, and with being in love, with all the usual teenage dramas but just with the twist of being set in a slightly unusual place...

It's set in a place where, in the main, being gay is not a big deal. In fact, being different in any way is not a big deal. I think the perfect description is actually a passage from the book, on the 1st page:

"There isn't really a gay scene or a straight scene in our town. They all got mixed up a while back, which I think is for the best... Most of the straight guys try to sneak into the Queer Beer bar. Boys who love boys flirt with girls who love girls. And whether your heart is strictly ballroom or bluegrass punk, the dance floors are open to whatever you have to offer."

To me, that immediately drew me in as it sounds like the kind of world we should all want to be part of. This book is light-hearted, funny and serious. Any teen, male or female, gay or straight, could benefit greatly from this book, and have a lot of fun reading it at the same time. It really makes you think about how you act, how people around you act, and is also wonderful for pure escapism and enjoyment.