Customer reviews

Start Where You Are: How to accept yourself and others
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 June 2017
This is a good book by Buddhist nun Pema.Her teachings combines self awareness and modern Buddhism along with great compassion for all.
on 13 October 2017
Super fast delivery and well packaged. An easy to read informative book that just makes sense.
on 20 May 2015
Pema Chodron's books are changing my life, slowly one step at a time but this is one of those books that has had a massive impact on my life in a good way. I struggle with anxiety, depression and more recently acute grief. The world was feeling more and more a place where I didn't want to be, or see place for me in it. Pema helps you look at the world in a different way, and her techniques have really helped me look at the world in a different way.

If you struggle with anxiety, stress, depression. If the world in spinning too fast for you; Get this book. These conditions are not easy or quick to fix but this book makes a big difference to how you live 'with them' and this makes more things seem possible. If you are wondering which of Pema's books to get and you can only get one, for anxiety issues I'd recommend starting with this one.
on 21 August 2013
I didnt find Pema for a while after I started practicing Buddhism but since I have my life and practice have totally transformed. What makes Pema's teachings in this book and others so profound is that she doesnt tell you to get rid of anything. Unlike a lot of Buddhism that can often describe practice as removing or fixing things within yourself, Shambhala Buddhism (which is taught in this book) starts and finishes with you being perfect just as you are. There is nothing to change. Hence the title "Start Where You are". Her teaching is about connecting with the tenderness beneath all of the suffering, justification and confusion. The tenderness of the heart is something that we all share, without exception. This is why this book will change your life.

I would recommend it to everyone but especially those who seem to struggle with self-doubt or self aversion. I find all Buddhism is basically the same underneath its just some types suit different types of minds.
on 10 October 2015
Love love love Pema... Her writing and message inspires, reminds me not to stray too far, and if I do reminds me how to find my way home
review image
on 7 April 2017
Good
on 5 January 2017
All the concepts and practices in this book is so well put! A great book for everyone to read!
on 15 March 2017
Life is so simple, yet so complicated...
This book simplifies life, it 'pulls out' the complications we make of life and makes the reader see the essence of what being is all about.
Written so most people can understand it - no highflying words!
Nice & simple - joy to read. Grounded me tremendously
on 7 April 2013
This is a good book for anyone that is looking to apply the teachings in their lives. The key word being "apply".

The style is warm and approachable and there are many useful examples, anecdotes and illustrations given. This is not a dry text designed to be read once and forgotten.

The book will be useful for anyone looking to deepen their practice, but is probably most use for those with some familiarity of what is required already.
on 6 September 2017
Excellent. Using conjunction with the Lojong cards.