TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 October 2013
'The Secret of Happy Parents' is one in a series of books by the Biddulphs (husband and wife authors) on relationships and parenting. It is my first one and did a good enough job to make sure the others are likely to land on the reading list in due course.

The book covers primarily happy or put differently - healthy - relationships. It goes over topics such as:
- committment and how to successfully grow it,
- determining whether the relationship is one of love, lust or liking and how that differs between the two partners,
- finding out how you work as a couple,
- how to manage relationship crises,
- the love life, and last but not least,
- how children alter the equilibrium and how to ensure the relationship gains, rather than suffers from the addition.

As seen from the topics above, the children and / or parenting are but a component of the book and the majority of the content will be equally applicable to couples who have not (yet) taken the plunge of parenthood.

Much of the book is based on transactional analysis and many of the approaches can be applied relatively quickly; with committment of both parties success can be achieved without the intervention of an outside therapist, too.

The other real advantage of the book is the warm and heartfelt writing style, which descends neither into lecturing, nor gets removed from sound experience based recommendations. As plenty of practical cases are presented, it gets easier to find examples of how to handle your particular situation, which would have been harder with only a step by step guide.

Overall a book I can definitely recommend to all couples, or alternatively to people who are yet to plunge into a relationship, so as to provide them with a more realistic assessment of what it entails (in order to make it a happy one).
on 4 December 2013
As a parent of 2 young children I read this book as I thought I could learn some coping skills from it for our stressful family life. Some parts of the book are good and other parts are a bit too airy fairy for me. I think, as with all self help books, you take the bits you like and you ignore other parts. I got one or two things from it that resonated and I'll use so that's positive. I particularly liked the advice to speak to your partner and children as you would a stranger in a store; with respect. That struck a cord with me and its something I will aim to do and keep doing.
on 27 August 2010
Heartily recommend all of Steve Biddulp's books. Much of it is common sense and you'd work it out for yourself eventually. But for parenting books these are very easy reads and much better than the touchy feely social worker type impenetrable rubbish that was suggested to us by others. Well worth the money and a great source of ideas.
on 12 December 2015
I love this book, I have read Steve's other books on parenting and parenting boys, and I love his easy going, friendly and yet humorous style, that does not fail to impart wisdom and knowledge in how to do parenting in a friendlier and more harmonious style. Thank you Steve Biddulph for your wisdom over the years, my three boys of 9, 11 and 14 years have benefited enormously from your writings.
on 29 November 2013
As a big fan of Steve Biddulph, especially his 'Raising Girls' book, I thought this would be a great read. It isn't.
I spent the first half of the book in what felt like a rambling prologue, wondering when the real content would start... and when it did it felt outdated (it is quite an old book) and I failed to identify with any of the scenarios painted.

His books on parent-child relationships are however, fantastic!
on 1 May 2013
I've jsut started to read this and i already love it It's so easy to read and i know i a going to whizz through it!
on 15 May 2013
Thanks for sharing this book with your readers!!!
I have never read any book by the author(s) and I only relied on the feedback/review.
I wasnt dissapointed.
I have recommended it to most of my friends as very educative and enlightening!!!
on 4 August 2013
The style of this book is fantastic, very open and honest and easy to read.
Lots of great points presented in a clear, readable manner.
on 5 February 2015
give your self time to read and absorb. Helpful book made me change my communication on occasion. Well worth a read.
on 9 June 2013
I have two sons and have raising boys which is a brilliant book I have used loads. This was good and useful for considering relationship needs as a parent I didn't necessarily agree with all of this one it's a bit hippyish in places but it makes you think about what's right for you so that you can do right by your kids.