on 11 June 2016
Pema Chodron is one of my heroes, and this book has helped me through recovery from lymphoma. Having lived in the busy world of family and children before she became a full time Buddhist nun she completely understands the stresses and strains of everyday life. her writing is pure, honest and straight from the heart - and also really funny. Highly recommend this, and your life doesn't have to be falling apart to appreciate her wise words.
6 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2017
This is the first book I have read by Pema and found it easy to read,understand and practical. I was very relieved to read pain is Ok, I have always avoided hurt,anger,sadness and always felt like going round in circles with emotions. This book has shown me it's not going to kill me to face true emotions and help me to stop running from myself. Will be reading more,thank you.
6 people found this helpful
on 2 December 2017
Pema is a very good writer blending personal experience and insight with the wider key Buddhist principles deftly - overall this is a great encouragement and a practical guide to for the challenge of discovering and maintaining basic sanity and compassion in an uncertain world.
on 24 August 2015
I can not rate pema Chondra highly enough she is a very wise lady and this is full of humour and ideas on a Buddhist way of working with what is challenging. However you don't need to be a Buddhist for it to resonate because she is very human and humble in her explain atones.
Would and have recommend this book or cd
on 28 January 2014
If things have fallen apart for you, do read this book. If things still intact, still read. You may learn one thing or two.

I found Pema's language sometimes difficult to follow but that didn't prevent me from finishing the book. There are so many valuable and wise words in there, that will make you rethink your situation and feel the light at the end of the tunnel.

I finished it but will keep it at my bedside table, so I can read a chapter or two every now and then, to keep reminding myself of Pema's wonderful teachings.
on 25 July 2017
Very thought provoking book. Sometimes difficult to read in places but might just be me! Pema is very relatable and comes across as someone who understands the human condition very well. Very interesting to find out about different Buddhist practices.
on 20 February 2015
I love Pema Chodron's books. This one was my second purchase because I lent out the first one and never got it back. Having said that, it is a wonderful gift for those new to and interested in Buddhism. This book is one of my favourites! I refer back to it every now and then. Do read it. We all suffer and many of us can deal with it with loving kindness to ourselves and others.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2017
Beautiful book, good read! This book really helped me in regards to where I was 👍🏽
on 18 July 2017
Excellent reading as well as high quality product. I strongly recommend it.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2013
I have been meditating for a few years, following difficulties in my life with disease, work and personal life. Using this book by Pema Chödrön, I feel that I have gained a lot of insight and practical new methods on handling - and welcoming - difficulties in my life. Even though the actual meditation practice is the important thing, adding new techniques to meditation practice is also very important. Adding new meditation techniques prevents your mind from becoming bored with meditation practice. This book includes a lot of insightful advice on the techniques, but also inspiring stories that have made me see the world and my own life in a new light.

Highly recommended.