Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2017
While I am a Zen practitioner, there is a lot to learn from the wisdom of Tibetan Buddhism, especially in their emphasis on compassion. On that front, Zen can come across as rather severe at times, and a practitioner can end up with the so-called 'Zen stink' if she is not careful. Pema Chodron's lucid explanations on Tonglen and the importance of recognising the tender heart in this book alone, for me, are already enough to justify reading the book.

I think people with some experience of meditation will benefit more from this book. This book is certainly not a meditation manual, and without some familiarity from the meditative experience of what it means to really 'be in one's own skin', one may find it a little difficult to translate the wisdom in this book into daily life - an emphasis that the author herself frequently makes in the book.
on 11 June 2016
Pema Chodron is one of my heroes, and this book has helped me through recovery from lymphoma. Having lived in the busy world of family and children before she became a full time Buddhist nun she completely understands the stresses and strains of everyday life. her writing is pure, honest and straight from the heart - and also really funny. Highly recommend this, and your life doesn't have to be falling apart to appreciate her wise words.
on 10 June 2017
This is the first book I have read by Pema and found it easy to read,understand and practical. I was very relieved to read pain is Ok, I have always avoided hurt,anger,sadness and always felt like going round in circles with emotions. This book has shown me it's not going to kill me to face true emotions and help me to stop running from myself. Will be reading more,thank you.
on 25 July 2017
Very thought provoking book. Sometimes difficult to read in places but might just be me! Pema is very relatable and comes across as someone who understands the human condition very well. Very interesting to find out about different Buddhist practices.
on 18 July 2017
Excellent reading as well as high quality product. I strongly recommend it.
on 31 May 2017
Very profound and insightful read. Really makes you see Buddhism (ourselves in a whole different light). I recommend this book to everyone who is feeling stuck in the same old patterns
on 7 March 2017
Beautiful book
on 14 January 2014
This book contains practical, clear advice on coping with stress and pain. It provides invaluable tools for moving forward and achieving inner calm. I have found it immensely useful, and unlike some other readers don't find Pema's style "bleak". Instead I find her treatment of the human condition incredibly warm and compassionate. You will be encouraged to accept yourself, and accept others more readily if you apply the tools and teachings in this excellent book.
on 24 August 2016
All Pema Chodron books are very readable
on 24 July 2016
Loved this book Pema Chodron, full of helpful advice, insight and wisdom, especially for when things fall apart...