on 14 March 2017
Handy little book for when out camping or foraging for berries or roots for cooking.
Good information, illustrated nicely and recipes and ways to cook each plant, berry or mushroom.
Really handy to know what mushrooms and fungi you can eat without risking being as high as a kite having hallucinations that your being chased by a giant Mars bar.
A nice little book to have on the bookshelf, will come with me when I go camping and want to try my hand at making nettle soup for supper.
on 12 March 2017
Brilliant little book! I'm so fascinated with the fact I had no idea so many common plants are edible! Can't wait to give it a try on nature walks. Perfect size for your pocket, beautifully layed out. Even contains a recipe glossary, plant glossary and calender for picking seasons! Highly recommend
on 16 November 2017
Brilliant start. This book is excellent as a starting place for all foragers and wannabe Bushcrafters. Very good info and photographs to accompany many field, coastal plants and fungi. A basic introduction to the edible parts and a recipe suggestion if you want it. You could research each plant in greater detail if you wanted after this book has got you started. I've bought several foraging books and this one is tops so far. Note. This is not the Mini-gem by Collins that bought but the bigger version.
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 December 2013
Richard Mabey is the king of food for free authoring.
We have several of his books and have used them to try out what the hedgerow has to offer. We own a small holding and knew that most of what nature produces free every year was going to waste and with rising food prices needed education on how to use what's there more effectively.
This book backs up his other writings and includes lots of extra information on collection, identification and cooking. It's hard to believe that it is possible to feed yourself year round in the UK without the need for supermarkets. We are not going to go that far but using Richard's books have saved lots of money and are probably healthier for it.. We use stinging nettles, Alexanders, Blackberries, Field mushrooms, nuts and wild fruit in our diet now on a regular basis. There is plenty more out there and this book is extending our knowledge much more and there was a few other things we will be trying.
Overall an excellently written and illustrated book.
on 22 November 2016
The cover might be different to what you were expecting (not that it matters anyway).
I am so impressed by this book, even if it wasn't a pocket book:
-It's got illustrations and photos for each for ease of identification (which is vitally important)
-It's got the common names and the scientific names for each
- It's got advise on how to use what you harvest
-It's even got historical significance.

It's hard to figure out If i need to do further reading because it is so packed full of information.
LOVE IT!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 September 2012
Yip, I still have my original paperback version of this (but will give that away to a friend now I have treated myself to this updated, hard-backed, better illustrated version) and it really is an invaluable source of trusted information if you like to forage in the wild and not poison yourself!

This book is beautiful. Beautifully presented, high quality production - a hard-backed version of a classic title.

Super-sized glossy pictures that make what you are foraging easy to identify and also comes with plenty of superb recipes for things to do with your find.

I love this book, so I've bought it twice over the years.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND (will be good in this downturn we are having in the UK .... save yourself some money, pick your own in the wild and have fun whilst you are doing it and get exercise and fresh air)

10/10
on 29 September 2016
Small book handy for pocket but means the pictures are small and would prefer a bigger clearer picture to be sure I can recognise the plants. Otherwise fine but the small pictures were a bit disappointing. I think its prob. best to go on a foraging expedition with experts to make sure no mistakes made and so gain confidence in finding the right things and then the small pictures would be reminders. Other than that a good transaction. Prompt delivery.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 August 2016
I've scrumped the odd blackberry or apple in the past, but it was this book that has got me truly hooked on foraging! Where I used to see plants in my local woodlands and parks, I now see food - it's incredible! I was nervous about picking something poisonous to start with, but the drawings, photos and descriptions are brilliant. It even includes recipes - I can't wait to make the elderflower fritters when they are in season again! Fits perfect in my pocket too! :-)
on 25 August 2017
Really great little book for me and my children we are novice foragers we knew the basics I. E apples blackberries but this has really opened our eyes the kids are loving our family outings even more
on 21 September 2017
no such thing as a free meal? get out foraging with this book and there is.