on 6 December 2015
Story of 15yr old Kimbala growing up in Nigeria , at first I wasn't too sure what the main point of the story was however I would say that it covered some very thought provoking and difficult subjects showing reslience and strength right to the end.
on 23 February 2014
I read this book about 9/10 years ago as teenager & rereading it now, I still feel as deeply affected by it as I did all those years ago. Chimamanda is a great author. I know this because it took me a day to finish this book. She perfectly captures even the littlest things you would pass by. One does not have to be Nigerian to relate with this novel because we see these issues happen worldwide. However, the imagery she has presented through her prose is incredible and what makes this book golden. People have called her the next Achebe, but I believe she is in a league of her own. A brilliant debut novel from a wonderful author.
on 12 February 2016
Challenging book bought for a 15yr old boy who is loving it
on 11 June 2016
As one of my favourite authors, Adichie never fails to deliver. Purple hibiscus is raw, emotional, truthful, personal, with the trademark sociopolitical backdrop of Nigeria. The characters reach out to you and beg you to read their story. A must-read.
on 25 August 2017
Not my favourite of her books, but it's still beautifully written and the plot grabs a hold of you. She has this ability to lead you in one direction then literally flip the script. I love it. The length is just right too.
on 20 July 2014
Sensitive, even-handed perspective on complex cultural transition. The reader is easily drawn into characters and situations in telling and nuanced prose of great skill. The writing is dramatic without ever being sensational, and our understanding is greatly enhanced by the vivid first-person viewpoint.
on 18 October 2017
I read Americanah first and liked the author. A very interesting insight into the lifestyle of another culture.
on 16 November 2017
It would had helped to have a glossary at the end of the book. There were so many words that I couldn't understand, especially items of food. It spoilt the book for me. Having said that, I did like this book but wouldn't read another of her books for that reason.
on 22 May 2015
Last week I read orphan of Islam and this week I have finished purple hibiscus. Amazing different religions and cultures but the commonality is that religion is used to legitimise domestic violence.
on 30 March 2017