Customer reviews

Horton Hatches the Egg: Yellow Back Book (Dr. Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2017
Just as expected thanks
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 December 2015
Dr. Seuss created a few very memorable characters over the course of his many picture books, and Horton the elephant is certainly one of them. He made his first appearance in Horton Hatches the Egg. I loved this book as a kid, and I find it holds up just as well now.

One day Horton stumbles upon Mayzie, a bird trying to hatch an egg. Mayzie is ready for a vacation, so Horton agrees to keep her egg warm. However, Mayzie has no intention of coming back, but instead enjoy a permanent trip to sunnier realms. Will Horton stay on the egg? What will he face while he does?

It’s always nice to find a childhood favorite that stands the test of time, and this book does that splendidly. Yes, as an adult, I did have to question just how long it took Horton to hatch the egg, but it just makes for a better story. None of the complications last very long, this is a picture book after all, but there is some fun and imagination at work in the story. Horton is a great characters, and it’s easy to like him. Plus we get a great moral about sticking to your word, something that comes about naturally from the story.

Dr. Seuss was a marvelous illustrator as well. This book is filled with his pen and ink illustrations. Most have minimal color, but they are still great to look at. They really capture the humor in an elephant sitting in a tree on a nest and a few of the other things that happen along the way. And the pictures at the climax really sell the story.

And this story is told in classic Seuss rhyme. The cadence is perfect for reading aloud, and the amount of words on a page isn’t overwhelming. It should keep those with short attention spans entertained.

While this book isn’t usually classified as one of Seuss’s easy reader books, I’d argue it could be. It’s not quite as simple as Green Eggs and Ham, but most of the words are easy enough. This might not be a good book for very beginning readers, but I think a young reader who is ready for something slightly more challenging will do great at this book with an adult to help them read the very few harder words.

And so I recommend Horton Hatches the Egg. It’s just as much fun now as it was when I read it as a child and when Dr. Seuss first wrote it 75 years ago.
on 7 November 2006
...and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful 100%. Another abiding childhood memory, and I have to say I'm overjoyed it's still in print (note to self - review something other than children's books at some point. It may give a strange impression of you). My Mum still has our copy in her keepsake box (my sister and I are in our 30's). So there's nothing for it but to get myself another copy, sorry, I mean get my son a copy. If you love Dr Seuss, then you'll love this. Horton the dependable elephant sticks to his word, and gets his reward in the end. A joy and essential for children, and also for adults who should know better.
on 4 November 2007
All children should have the oportunity to read about Horton. He is brave and has a great and tender soul. He can teach us all that being good and being helpful makes the world a better place.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2004
This book clearly deserves more than five stars!
Horton Hatches the Egg is one of my very favorite children's books. The story opens with Mayzie, a lazy bird, sitting on her nest hatching an egg. She's terribly bored and tired and wants a break. She persuades Horton, the elephant, to take over for her. This is a good choice on her part because, "An elephant's faithful -- one hundred percent!"
So Horton props up the tree so it can take his weight, climbs up onto the nest, and ever so gently . . . sits on the egg.
Mayzie decides a little vacation in Palm Beach will be in order. Once there, she says . . . "why bother?" and abandons her egg.
What Horton didn't know is that this egg needed 51 more weeks of hatching! But, never mind. "He said what he meant and he meant what he said." He sat on that egg, no matter what.
Through a long series of misadventures, Mayzie and Horton are reunited just as the egg hatches. Mayzie wants her egg back, and Horton doesn't agree. Then the big surprise happens and Horton gets his reward!
Teaching children patience and persistence . . . well, that takes a lot of patience and persistence. Horton Hatches the Egg is a way to provide a small fictional example when setbacks and delays occur. My youngsters didn't understand Thomas Edison's comment about genius being 99 percent perspiration until they were well past their Dr. Seuss days. I like to think that their hard-working adult selves (for the three who are adults) were formed in part by Horton's example in this book.
This book contains many valuable lessons to encourage such as: keeping your word; being honest; looking out for those in need; sticking through to the end; facing your fears; and many others. It's a remarkable thing to realize also how well the ridiculous image of an unhappy elephant sitting on a nest is a bare tree can create all of those good notions. Way to go, Dr. Seuss!
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2004
This book clearly deserves more than five stars!
on 1 April 2014
This book has been a firm family favourite ~ to the point of being able to recite it. Usually at family dinners. I have purchased this for the next generation - unfortunately it does not have the wonderful hardcover like the old book we have. Fantastic story. Made better when I saw an elephant bird.
on 26 March 2011
My daughter just loves all these books. She loves to get me to read them really quickly, then listen to me get it wrong!!!! I should explain my daughter is dyslexic - where I find them difficult to read at speed, she finds them fairly easy to read as she practises reading nonsense words!!! We love them.
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2009
I can see this also being made into a move. It's a very different story to Horton Hears a Who: Yellow Back Book (Dr Seuss Yellow Back Book) bit is still very imaginative. This book is mainly about responsibility, which Horton has in bucket loads.
on 19 January 2011
Not entirely logical esp at the end, but our grandchildren love it. It shows the importance of caring and responsibility, no matter what personal inconvenience is involved. It is also an opportunity to talk about peer pressure!