Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 September 2016
the person it was for loved it
on 3 March 2003
Without doubt the best book for kids and adults alike in its genre. Entertaining, funny and with a message that can change a lot of lives. A book for all those who are too good for their OWN good. In the words of David Byrne..."be a little more selfish, it might do you some good".
The book deals with a moose who is so nice that everyone takes advantage of him, to the point where he is going to die weighed down by the responsibility of not being selfish and living his life for others. We can all learn a great lesson here. This book is my guiding light. Sure, it's noble to do the right thing and give of yourself all you can... but when you are giving so much that it is destroying you, its time to look after yourself for a change.
This book is the perfect gift for every child and every downtrodden person you know. Get it. Give it. Change someone's life today. :)
Thidwick's adventure begins simply enough. He is marching along on the shores of Lake Winna-Bango, on the far northern shore, looking for moose-moss to eat with 60 other moose. A small Bingle Bug nicely asks Thidwick for a ride "for a way." Thickwick replies, "I'm happy to share!" Most of us would have said the same.
But what happens when a guest overstays her or his welcome? In Thidwick's case, his horns become a veritable zoo of wildlife. There is a Tree-Spider spinning a web, a Zinn-a-zu Bird who gets married and builds a nest, and their uncle the woodpecker who pecks holes the squirrel family inhabits. And so on it goes, to include a bobcat, turtle, fox, mice, fleas, a big bear . . . and 362 bees!
Thidwick is like the horse in Animal Farm. He's providing all of the work and benefit, and everyone is bossing him around. Why, they won't even agree to let him leave with the other moose to find more moose moss. Why is Thidwick willing to put up with this? What are the benefits of having a big heart in this situation?
How does Thidwick end up in this mess? Well, having accepted the Bingle Bug, the subsequent guests ignore Thidwick and ask the earlier guests instead if they can move in. Thidwick honors his first commitment, extends it in time and to the new inhabitants.
As a result of Thidwick's dilemma, this book provides a good opportunity to discuss sharing with your child . . . and explain the benefits and limits of sharing.
Your child will run into people who will try to take advantage. This gives you a chance to ask your child what he or she would do in Thidwick's situation.
The story's resolution is a most original and humorous one that makes good use of the mental picture of shedding your onorous burdens.
This story is illustrated by Dr. Seuss, as well as written in his best rhyming way. The drawings of the creatures in Thidwick's horns come close to matching many of Dr. Seuss's most imaginative mechanical devices. The horns of this dilemma are funnier than those devices, because this concoction is based on animals and natural processes.
The story is a pretty easy one for five to six year olds to learn to read, because many of the words are short and rhyme. The illustrations also "name" many of the nouns. The humor provides "hooks" for memorizing the words.
I also liked the idea of introducing children to the concept of treating a guest well, even if the guest does not behave well. Our society would be much improved if we all did a little more friendly hosting.
After you finish enjoying this story, ask your child if she or he knows of anyone who is like Thidwick. Ask your child what that person should do differently.
Enjoy having a big heart . . . and hosting others!
on 30 May 2009
Dr Seuss doesn't disappoint, my daughter loves all this book. The way in which its written makes it a delight to read aloud. We always have great fun in trying to pronounce the tongue twisting words. A joy to read but the book still has a meaning to it which children can understand. Well worth buying.
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2009
Interesting story about all sorts of animals taking advantage of Thidwick, who's to kind to everyone. It reminds me of The Cat in the Hat (Dr Seuss Green Back Books) in that Thidwick's situation gets much worse before it gets better.
on 4 July 2013
I always loved Dr Seuss books, and now my kids love them too. Every time we have a birthday or Christmas, we look for more.
Thidwick is a typically off-the-wall story about a moose, but it also has some slightly educational value to it, as it tells you something about the moose that you or your kids might not have known.

As with all our Dr Seuss books, we read it again and again.
on 3 September 2003
Dr Seuss is the undoubted master of the subversive children's book, and Thidwick the Big-hearted Moose is clearly one of his best. Inspired by Jeremy Bentham's theories on Utilitarianism, Thidwick sees him turn these concepts into low art. Supporting the then-revolutionary policy that every person (or even every moose) has a use, Seuss turns his back on centuries of Capitalism. No longer were people ""use-less" after their years of toil, fit only to be shunted into the workhouse. (Similarly, Thidwick is not just a mobile, prototype hunting trophy.)
Such a novel approach to the problems of an aging population did not sit well with American Big Business, and Seuss became the subject of McCarthy Anti-Communism investigations. In a memorable move, Thidwick himself was called to testify at the HUAC hearings. There, Thidwick betrayed the Good Doctor, stabbing him in the back (actually, goring him in the spleen) accusing him of being a Shepherd Spy.
Despite this, Thidwick is not a dry dusty read, showing great insight into community, knitting and moose-morality. I bought it for my five year old cousin, but thoroughly engrossed my elf.
However, it's a pity the publishers haven't released the related "Thidwick and the Struggle against the MunnyMen".
on 1 January 2014
Typical of Dr Seuss books, fantastic book, very funny. Perfect addition to our collection. We adore his work so much!
on 5 June 2013
I got this and another book for my brother to enjoy, and he loves it! Will defo buy some more for him :)
on 10 September 2012
We love dr seuss in our house so I sat down with my two 4 year olds to read this one without even thinking to check the story. Basically teh freindly moose has squatters on his horns who wont leave, he ends up starving and being pursued by hunters (the pictures show bullets streaming at the moose!!) my kids were very worried as I tried to skip over all this peril. In the end it's the little animals living on the horns that are captured by the hunters - we are then treated to a picture of them stuffed and haning on the hunting lodge wall. I know times have changed but I am very dissapointed that this book is still available - it is not what i want my kids to see. Maybe if they were older it would be better, but the book description says that it is good for older children and reading to younger children.