on 22 June 2013
I got bored with this series in book 5 and 6, but decided that I had come this far and I was so close to the end that I had to finish. I just hoped this book would be better, it had a lot to wrap up and questions to answer and a lot of expectations to meet.
I actually did find myself enjoying this one more to start with, I went into it with an open mind, and I liked the set up, Leaf trapped at the hospital after the catastrophe, Suzy taking more control and stepping up and then Arthur - finally accepting what he is and willing to use his powers. Then we meet Lord Sunday, Saturday was a disappointment to me so I wanted him to be a formidable enemy and he seemed like he would be, he doesn't just fold or give up, he fights back making Arthur work for his success.
But then it slowed down, Arthur gets trapped, tries to escape and find the Will etc, but it's drawn out. Parts of it were good, I liked the twist with 'elephant' but the rest was trying to build up the tension a little bit too much.
I love that Leaf is more involved, but it seemed quite forced, like he couldn't really come up with a logical reason for her being there so he adds in a few disasters and twists and there she is. But in the big scheme she still doesn't really do much.
I did feel like this book got a bit slow again, at one point I was literally just reading because I wanted to finish, I almost just read the last chapter but held myself back.
But at the same time I would come across bits of the story I really enjoyed again and would speed up again. This book really kept me on the fence.
By the time I reached the last chapter I actually would have said overall that I actually did enjoy the book, I felt a bit happier, then that last chapter happened - WHAT WAS THAT?!?!
Seriously, what was that ending, what was the point of it. Where was he going with that? it was just seriously weird and totally unbelievable in my opinion. I just didn't get it. I mean Why?
So overall, I don't really know what to say, yes it had good moments but it also had slow ones too, I wasn't left with a satisfied feeling of finishing a good series, I felt a bit deflated actually. Quite disappointing. But if you've come this far in the series it has to be read.
on 12 April 2010
Arthur, rightful heir to the kingdom, has fallen into the gardens and as the House is thrown into more Nothing, the fate of the world is up to him and his friends.

The final book in the Keys to the Kingdom series was a tantalizing wait, especially since the last instalment ended so unexpectedly and the entire complexity of the world hung in the balance, .

And after a decade the saga draws to a close in what many may seem as rushed, others may seem as a stroke of genius and all the while if you have reached this point, you will ultimately have your own opinion, as with the Harry Potter series.

Book 7 begins in a vivid fashion as Arthur is thrown into unusual territory whilst Leaf and Suzy have struck up their own agendas with humans and piper's children.

This book takes up a very strong gamble in its structure. Garth Nix has chosen to take the story onto account from dividing the characters up into their own stories, using some good personal issues along with the current situation of the House and world. This is a good development as previous books had also separated the story, giving account of happenings elsewhere rather than be fixated with Arthur all the time. This works strongly as the pace of the personal stories are fast and edgy which is what you want given the amount of Nothing that is dissolving the House, a nice fast paced movement that is usually consistent, even if the constant switching of stories between chapters upsets the energy occasionally.

The ending has certainly divided many and whilst there is a hint of inevitability and obvious conclusion there is a nice relief, a way that doesn't seem too cheesy and that fits the majority of questions in exquisitely. This obviously a personal preference but if you have got thus far it would certainly be worth finishing it off.

There are a few drawbacks in the fact the overall pace is disrupted through changing of sub stories. Arthur's doesn't seem that big compared to others and from memory there were a few unresolved issues from Saturday that were unanswered here.

I dare to criticize further as this book, along with the other six, have all worked splendidly, capturing that essence of vivid imagination the author used in his other works such as Sabriel.

In comparison to the other 6 books this is probably the fastest moving with, especially on first read, a purpose and excitement of the unknown. There is less personal attachment to Arthur on this novel, perhaps due to the amount of time he is not in the sequences which is a shame but thankfully the quirky Suzy gets more page time and Leaf has developed into an interesting protagonist.

If to choose out of the 7 my personal favourite would have been Saturday as the pace, the refreshing nature was all spot on but the idea of the first book and the new unique ideas that Nix generated were simply sensational.

If you are just discovering this series, Mister Monday is the opener, and what an opener with fast flowing semiotics and action that begins a truly joyus journey of adventure, fantasy and personal excitement you will not regret reading.

HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 March 2010
The House is being destroyed -- it's being flooded with Nothing and invaded by Newniths.

So it's not exactly surprising that the final novel of Garth Nix's multiverse-spanning Keys to the Kingdom series is one long cliffhanger. "Lord Sunday" is a little rushed and scattered at times, but Nix ties off the various plot threads in a satisfying manner -- and he demonstrates his brilliant skill by handling the seemingly impossible.

Now transformed into a Denizen, Arthur struggles his way back to the Incomparable Gardens -- only to be captured by the cruel, selfish Lord Sunday and his minions. Meanwhile, Leaf is captured by Sunday's Reaper and dragged back into the House, and Suzy is struggling to keep the army from being destroyed by the Nothing, Newniths and the Piper's Children.

Unsurprisingly, Lord Sunday wants the Atlas and the Keys. Arthur will have to use all his wits and sorcerous strength -- as well as an old, beloved friend -- to free himself from Sunday's clocklike torture chamber. As the final clash between Sunday, Saturday and the Piper begins, Arthur's true destiny is revealed -- and it may mean the destruction of all the worlds of the House.

"Lord Sunday" has almost everything you could want in a grand, apocalyptic finale -- magic, battles, tragic losses, and finally the revelation of the Architect's true Will. It took six books of complex build-ups to get to this point, and for most of the book Nix focuses on the main characters zipping around trying to save the House from destruction.

But the story becomes truly brilliant in the last few chapters. Nix's prose becomes exquisitely simple and evocative, even as he weaves some philosophical moments that reveal why the Architect did all the things that set the story in motion -- and why Arthur was necessary for her Will. In many ways, it's a bittersweet finale for Nix's series, but it also leaves you feeling satisfied and hopeful.

Problems? The titular Lord Sunday isn't much of a character (he's more of a one-off obstacle), and a really tragic loss for Arthur is handled almost as an afterthought.

Fortunately, Arthur's own fate is handled with great care. While Leaf, Suzy and a few other characters (including the adorable Elephant and the beastwort Daisy) get moments to shine, "Lord Sunday" is about taking Arthur to the end of his journey, and handling the divide between his Denizen body and his human heart. Without revealing too much, Nix handles it in a logical, fantastical way that simply makes perfect sense.

"Lord Sunday" has a few flaws here and there, but it is a truly brilliant, powerful wrap-up for Garth Nix's epic fantasy series. Hopeful, sad, and hauntingly lovely.
on 11 January 2011
I am not sure if I liked the ending to this series, I loved the series as a whole and although for Kids really I love reading kids books as an adult.

Saturday left things kind of on a cliff-hanger which was not in keeping with rest of series, but Sunday does wrap everything up, I just found it a little messy at times and not as smoothly flowing as others, to me it was like Saturday never had enough in it and hence Sunday had too much and was always racing to keep up, I wont out any spoilers in this review.

Overall if you have Read Monday to Saturday then you are going to read this one, but I was slightly disappointed by the final book in a good series.
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2010
As you can tell by the synopsis there is a lot of action and elements going on within this book. As an avid fan of the Keys to the Kingdom Series I have been eagerly awaiting the final installment. This is one series that you have to read from the beginning or you will not be able to understand the storyline.
The book begins at the point Superior Saturday ends, the reader is really thrown in at the deep end with the action and plot. It did take me a while to remember exactly what had occurred in the previous books.
The characters are all extremely well developed and their interactions cleverly crafted. There are numerous threads to the plot which can take some keeping up with. The action occurs on multi-levels with numerous plot twists, all leading to a singular finale.
I have always found the way in which Garth Nix combines religious imagery and theory with that of science ingenious. The vocabulary used can be challenging for younger readers but I do think that it aids their education/articulation (that is what dictionaries are for!) As I have already stated I like to read books that I think are expanding my education (my favorite ideal education via osmosis).
Some of the imagery can be quite disturbing especially if you have a technicolor imagination like myself. Having a snake phobia I am getting a little bit annoyed that a lot of books have snake imagery, it makes my skin crawl (which I guess is the point of using it).
After such a long wait for the conclusion of this series I have to say I thought the end was rather anticlimactic and cliched. The action appeared to be cut short and personally I felt it became rather moralistic. I did enjoy how all the threads of the story culminated into a single end. Fans of the Keys to the Kingdom series end to read this book in order to obtain resolution.
on 7 March 2010
Lord Sunday, being the concluding book of a very enjoyable series, should in its very nature wrap up the events of the last six books, bring character arcs to a close and have an element of closure; or disclosure. Do not get me wrong Lord Sunday has all these things in abundance, however somewhere along the line it forgot to make itself anything more than that. The chapters with Arthur in are nothing more than an extended drawn out end chapter of a book. In essence I feel robbed of the thrill and adventure that had suffused the other books and made them morish. This isn't to say that Arthur's final moments in the house aren't exhilerating, but they are very brief. Gone is the long adventure through a new aspect of the house, allies, betrayals, adventure. Instead there are lengthy sections following the tedious adventures of Suzy and Leaf, who although add the element of adventure into the book, the conclusion makes all of this redundant, and ultimately unneccessary.

In particular, Lord Sunday himself is completly uninspired. The Piper, Superior Saturday,The Old One, Dame Primus, The Architect, The Mariner: All held a wonderful place in my heart( None quite reaching the heady days of Monday's Dusk, who remains my favourite)are dealt with brusquely and inconsequentially. But even that does not ammount to the disappointment of Lord Sunday and his servants, who are hastily sketched, un-memorable and in comparison to the other characters within the novel completly flawed concepts. The potential was there, but it was not exercised. Instead little jokes with Suzy and contextualisation with Leaf, lead to nothing more than a summation of the other books with a few old jokes recycled for the hell of it.

I do not think it is a bad book but neither is it like the others: a good book. Arthur's chapters are mainly pointless, until the end, where there is an excellent culmination scene, which is rushed through monstrously, ending 7 books of storyline for some characters with one or two uninspiring lines. Then the ending is quite enjoyable after that. It makes sense, it is solid, it is clear that this was always the intention for the books.

But gone is the romance of getting there. Instead, you walk through a drab and boring shell of a book...that I can only hope was rushed due to publishing contracts, rather than actually designed to be that way.
on 4 July 2010
As the Last book in an enthrawling series I expected so much from this book... and it didn't dissapoint! Fast paced action throughout and an Ending that astounded me. The best book of the series by a long way!

The book starts off where Superior Saturday ended with Arthur falling from the Incomprable Gardens, and the action kicks off from there. The story is taken on from three different personas; Arthur, Suzy and Leaf, and I beleive this added to the drama and tension built up throughout the book. A few twists and turns throughout left me unable to put the book down and an ending which left me almost gobsmacked, led to a truly great read.

This book is extremeley entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable. The fourway struggle for the key between, Arthur, Lord Sunday, the Piper and Superior Saturday, adds a lot more drama to the book, rather than just the monotony of a fight just between Arthur and the Trustee (as is the case in some of the other books in the series). The ending was not at all what I expected and I was pleasantly suprised by the outcome.

All the Characters, Arthur, Suzy, Dame Primus, Lord Sunday, the Architect, Old One, the piper and Saturday are all rounded off in a great way and left me happy to know that none of the main characters were left out. I think the author does a fantastic job of rounding of the key roles which left me satisfied the book overall.

A book that can be enjoyed by young and old alike, although I must say you have to have read the earlier book to understand this one, an oustanding book and a fantastic finale to the series!
on 11 March 2010
Garth Nix must be one of the most imaginative writers around today. His books are always fast paced, enjoyable, laced with a wonderful dry humour that sets off the darker themes and plots perfectly. In the Keys to the Kingdom series, he puts all his talents to good effect for a younger age group than some of his other works. Nevertheless these are not just books to be enjoyed by younger readers. There are wonderful characters who become good friends in the series, and deeper explorations of ideas in a style reminiscent of - but to my mind much better than - Philip Pullman.

As the book reached its climax, it had me turning pages as fast as I could, desperate to find out what would happen next. The last few chapters were a perfect ending to a series that never failed to offer something new at each turn, and left plenty to ponder. As I turned the last page, I closed this book with a sigh, put it down and thought to myself - now *that* was a good story.

Thoroughly recommended - but if you found this page first, note that this series begins with "Mister Monday", and this book is the seventh and last of the series (no prizes for guessing the order of the other books!)
on 10 July 2012
Although this may be considered a book for children, I have been reading - And waiting for this series to be completed for a very long time - Since my early teens (So I think I can get away with it).
Nevertheless, I have enjoyed it just as thoroughly now as I did before and would really recommend it to anyone who has a slight taste for Fantasy/Sci-fi.
Garth Nix truly throws the reader into an awesome new world that is so solidly built that it could almost pass as a real thing.
You will never want to put the book down, you'd try to limit yourself to a single chapter but then read two or three - It really Immerses you in it's compelling story of one boy who gets heroism thrust upon him as he tries to hide and run from it - All the while strange creatures arise from every nook and cranny of this well-imagined world Garth Nix has created.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 June 2010
I wrote quite a bad review of the penultimate book in the series so I felt I should redress the balance by saying the series finale was very good. Action packed and exciting from beginning to end. I was slightly confused trying to remember everything that had gone before - perhaps I should have re-read the series to refresh my memory before tackling this one, but saying that enough came back to me for me to follow it reasonably well. I liked the ending - I thought it was fitting and it made sense. My only slight criticism was that Arthur's anguish over the fate of some of the people he was close to could have been emphasised more, but on the whole, I was happy and relieved that this book was a return to form for Garth Nix and a very enjoyable read.