VINE VOICEon 9 March 2012
having read the book, i wanted the cd to listen to in bed so i can do the meditations (and be guided through them) when relaxed and comfortable.
the major bonus is that thankfully Barefoot does not suffer from an American accent some of which can be very annoying to listen to, so much so that you end up focusing on the annoying accent rather than the content.
his voice is gentle, soothing and like the book, he doesn't take himself too seriously.
I have always liked the way he writes and find it makes for pleasant and amusing reading as well as listening.
Barefoot makes the subject matter practical and do-able and isn't hung up on his ego.
the book and the cd are well worth reading/ hearing.
another Barefoot success
on 14 September 2004
There's so much to take in here, but never is it heavy going. If one idea doesn't grab you then keep reading and the next one will. Cleverly written so that EVERYONE can get something (in fact quite alot!) from it. I'm off to re-read & practice some of the techniques, as those I've tried so far have made a difference to my life already. Read this book - don't miss the opportunity to improve your enjoyment of life. :)
on 23 May 2004
What an excellent book! Barefoot Doctor tells it as it is, warts and all. This is the most down-to-earth book I have read on getting everything you want out of life - and believe me, I've read a few!!
Barefoot makes you realise that what you have in your life right now is what you want, and if you want more, you do have the power to get it - so stop making all those excuses. I love this man and his glorious attitude to life. He writes as he talks. This man is a genius. Thank you Barefoot.
on 7 June 2012
I recently borrowed this book from a friend... and I have it next to my bed side cabinate and when ever i'm feeling I need some Inspiration I pick it up and do some affirmations.... Believe me the affirmations DO work, but you have to believe in them and use them reguarly.

The most scary ones I did was the one's on Money... (page 140) suddenly People kept giving me money out of the blue ... A few years ago I would have said 'No thankyou' and declined but as I've done the affirmations.. I accepted, and reassured my self that i didn't have any reason to feel guilty, and that I am worthy of recieving money... I've stopped doing those ones now and am skint again....... :-)...
I really have to get over the guilt I feel over recieving money.

But anyway putting that aside the other affirmations definetly do work to as i've noticed other changes.... The book is written in a easy to read fashion and the auther uses humor throughout...
Its brill and well worth the read...

4 days later

I forget to mention one thing about the book that I find abit uncomfortable... There are no chapters (i've never read a book before without chapters or some kind of break... I don't know if the author does this deliberately, but I find it difficult, because there is no space for pondering or thinking about what you've just read... and when i do read it, I'm not sure when to stop... So what i've done is just book mark some affirmations, and go back to them when i need to...

Maybe he's doing this to show that we can just flow.... but i think there should be time to pause too... Same with Life yes its good to be spontaneous and go with the flow... But i feel there should also be time to think about what we are doing...

If anyone has also got any thoughts on this and can explain why the author writes in this style I would be greatful if they could share their views, by leaving a comment to this review.
on 8 June 2016
This used to be a super to series but BD seems to have vanished off the tv. It's a super book, really interesting and pretty quirky. I highly recommend it. He seems to have more charm than my Doctor. Lol. Fast delivery and postage.
on 20 June 2012
I am a massive fan of the Barefoot Doctor and this book did not disappoint. Very well written in his usual funny way, he makes Taoist wisdom easy, giving easy to follow instructions for how to get what you want.
on 15 February 2008
I think this quite possibly where Stephen Russell officially started going down hill, and basically took the "any discipline will do" ethos.
He claims this book is the practice of Wu Wei. This I cannot see, and maybe thats a fault of my own.
I have to echo the page filling bluff of calling upon loads of other spiritual systems like Tibetan Buddhism etc when it comes to the affirmation side of things.
I really cannot abide this wooley patchwork of "taking all the best bits of other systems and putting them all together" kind of ethos, and then claiming it's a new system of sorts.
With reference to other mediocre new agers that do this kind of thing all I can say is Dr Frankenstein, the rest is obvious!!!

Stephen seemed in his early days to write about Taoism in an accessible beginners way encouraging many to look into this discipline. However he never went beyond that as I feel his own understanding may be slight in this area, and never got past first base.
This book shows no development in his intial cursory attempts to elicit understanding of the Tao, merely Stephen's fancy, I fancy.

If you're interested in Taoism please buy a book on Taoism not this please. It's New age for Sun readers.
on 16 April 2013
I bought this on the strength of the urban warrior collection which was really interesting and I can highly recommend
Stephen has a really interesting style and his presentation is really good on the ear, but I do have to admit I felt on this he was trying to recirculate the same old stuff with this offering.I felt also that it lacked structure
on 14 April 2014
Easy to read and follow. Written in his normal cheeky style.
Good realisations and good thinking from beginning.
BIG fan!
on 27 September 2010
3 audio Cds that sound very similar - how to visualize and brainwash what you want into your life. The Cds keep looping round and round until you stop them. I did feel very positive when I started listening and had a giggle or two at Barefoot's amusing way of looking at life. Have yet to sit down and start manifesting.