Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 19 October 2008
With sparkling humour and a low cunning born of four years spent catching food before it hits the floor, Libby Prves shows that even the most unpromising madonna can survive the years of looking after babies and toddlers. Full of down-to-earth tips and hilarious anecdotes, this is a battle-manual for the mother on the front line, going from pregnancy to preschoolers, and taking in sibling fights, fraught outings, nannies and careers along the way.
review image
on 24 May 2010
A great book to read during your pregnancy and then read again while nursing your newborn. It'll help you loads and make you feel better.
I bought an older edition at a 2nd hand fair (after I had had my baby) so when 2 of my friends got pregnant, I felt they needed this book earlier than I had read it. They loved it.
on 24 March 2008
i loved this book - an entertaining read, full of good advice, the best being trust yourself. so do! she doesn't always get it right, but she isn't far wrong most of the time. and she doesn't judge you. calmed me down when i was getting worried, which is the most i could have wanted from any book.. worth a read..
on 6 August 2014
A lighthearted read that challenges many of the more modern manuals for mothers ( the perfect antidote for those of us who don't have time to knit a birth pool from yaks wool or grow organic broccoli to purée for our young ones). However, lighthearted it may be but it is full of honest advice to support the first time Mum in doing her best for her offspring as well as holding on to her sanity.
on 5 April 2011
I think this made the bestsellers mainly because of the celebrity author but it is well worth reading. It's amusing, doesn't preach and gives some good advice.

Best lesson it teaches is that parenting is hard and you shouldn't beat yourself up if you get things wrong.
on 22 October 2000
When I found I was pregnant I didn't know how I felt about it. I went out and bought a few "bibles" and this book. The bibles had me gagging and panicking, this book cheered me up and convinced me that someone like me can manage motherhood and remain a whole person, that it doesn't all have to be perfect though I tend to be an obsessive perfectionist or else drop things altogether. I bought the sequel for my friends with preschoolers, and the quote about there being no need to give up one's life for one's children _daily_ has become my mantra.
on 6 June 2014
This type of book should be funny. It is not. I also wish the author would have shown some respect for those women who do not breast feed, for whatever reason. You have your beliefs, but don't trash what someone else might be forced to do.
on 12 November 1999
"How not to be a perfect mother" is one of the best babycare books I have ever read. It's hillariously funny and it gives great tips & advice, without that offensive condescension one so often finds in this kind of book. If you read between the lines, you will find sharp criticism of Margaret Thatcher's England. I'm sure the book is a trifle dated in some ways, but this makes it a great period piece. A must for every mother (and father!) to be and you don't have to English to be able to appreciate it.
on 8 June 2014
Gooooood give me strength! I couldn't get past the second chapter - so full of clichés and stuff inc 'jokes' we're all heard loads of times before. Save your money, mine went to the charity shop 24 hours after getting it.
on 27 September 2013
It jsut takes you the fear of doing it all wrong! You can't do it wrong, just choose your own way and stick with it.
There are a lot of really helpful tips in there, which I would really recommend! Nobody needs to be perfect - no one is. Stop trying and enjoy doing it your way!