Customer reviews

4,265
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 March 2013
Each time I started to read Life of Pi I left it after a few pages and had to start again. It took me about five or six attempts before I broke through and got into it; and I'm so glad I persevered with it: a truly wonderful book that deserves all its many accolades. I thought the ending was brilliant: one of the best endings to a novel I've ever read. The story is fantastical yet the writing is so good I found it totally credible. The detailed accounts of various aspects of the natural world seem completely plausible and this makes the survival scenes completely plausible too. I think this is a book to return to and re-read and for 20p it must count as the best value book of all time.
on 2 March 2013
The isolation of the ocean, the communion of man and nature.
Two stories, one of hope and one so dark and forboding that the ear does not want to hear.

Two stories that tell the same tale, but one story is a parable to guide us to the truth, while the other is simply and ugly truth concerning the depravity and sinfulness of man.

Like the employees of the shipping company at the end of the book the two stories whirl around in our minds, each contesting for our attention.

Which story do you prefer?
Do you prefer the almost unbelievable account about the animals, or the stark brutality of the other?

This whole novel revolves around the question "which story do you prefer"?

Our answer is personal to each one of us.
But if we choose the first story, the one with the animals, then we must know "so it goes with God".

Reality as we perceive it is not always the best story.
Sometimes there is a peace in the stories of old, in the belief that there is a greater power over us, guiding us through life.
Too often these days we shut off that spiritual world with and around us, we only want to believe what our senses tell us.

But life, like this novel, all depends on which stories you prefer.
on 16 July 2015
Having seen the film I was determined to read the book.
I was not disappointed, a thoroughly good read and highly recommended.
on 29 May 2017
This book is the product of a brilliant imagination .. Everyone should read it . It relaxes your brain . Gave it four stars in case I come across a book I like better but I doubt it somehow ..
on 5 July 2017
You probably won't have read a book like this before ... it's hard to know what to believe as realistic and what is a fantasy. Give it a go!
on 31 March 2017
Love this
on 19 April 2017
Nice story
on 9 April 2017
I gave this book a 5 star rating because this book is unquestionably gripping. The confused nature of the chapters reflect the arduous journey of the protagonist. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 3 January 2017
You never know where the story will take you even up until the last page - Brilliant really captures the imagination
on 6 February 2013
I loved Life Pi's adventure with the Tiger. I passed the religious pages which I found tediously boring.
Thoroughly enjoyed the adventure. Will buy the DVD when its released. Didn't go to the cinema to watch it. So I hope the film isn't disappointing.